Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Steamforger

Re: Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

Post by Steamforger »

Ruger American .22LR. The Ruger rail had some "mouse ears" or some manner of proprietary design. Nothing a patch of wet/dry sand paper and some elbow grease couldn't fix. I used Brownell's Aluma Hyde to recoat it. Vortex Strike Eagle II and American Defense QD mount. It isn't quite as dialed in as I want it yet, but one more outing should get it. I probably should have brought a proper target for the first outing. I was easily hitting gongs between 50 and 175 yards using the reticle with rapid transitions between each.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Steamforger, the optic on my TAVOR is a meprolight.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

"Finished" a couple projects recently, with the arrivals of some cans. Actually the AR on top is just a surrogate until I finish my PA-10 build (I didn't know any better when I bought the lower/upper receivers, I know now that there are better platforms out there).

Upper AR is built off of PSA/PTAC receivers, but has some decent stuff for a budget built, the lower AR is built off of Aero receivers and is my SBR in 300BLK. Upper can is a Specwar762 and lower can is a Octane 45HD. :D
ARsandcans.jpg
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I still say you should get a shorter rail for the SBR so you can use the Specwar and run supers... And I think with that big can it would be stupid quiet with subs. At least a little quieter than mine with the SDN-6, anyway.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

What is it?
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Remington 700 receiver, it appears to be a SA.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Model 7, 300 Blackout receiver. AAC is currently blowing out the last of their 7/700 barrels in that caliber for $150/each (list price was $400).

http://www.advanced-armament.com/Rem-70 ... p_464.html

I'll probably have as much or nearly as much into it as the factory AAC Model 7 in that caliber by the time I'm done, but I'll also have my choice of trigger and bottom metal. I already have the headspace gauges and action wrench left over from previous projects. I'm going to just go with the Remington factory synthetic stock but will eventually pillar bed it like I did my other Model 7 in 7mm-08.

Kind of wishing now I had bought another of those nice Nikon M300BLK scopes that Cabela's had on sale cheap last year. Not sure yet what I am going to do for an optic for this.

Edit to add:

Then I saw THIS and threw up in my mouth a little. Turns out, I will definitely have more into mine than I could have bought that for. But at least it will have my choice of parts... Probably going with bottom metal for AICS mags, and a Timney. The factory unit that's on sale in that link appears to have a fixed magazine that only holds 4 rounds, and a stupid 20MOA canted scope rail. Not sure why anybody would even want that on a rifle chambered in an intermediate cartridge. It has an adjustable cheek rest, too, but I am pretty sure I already have one that will work, and I definitely have enough 1/8" kydex left to make my own.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Who made the barrel for AAC?

I think PTG and brownells are blowing out that model reciever for 300ish with no trigger, for anyone who's interested.

Also, PTG also offers AR mag bottom metal for the model seven, for those desiring cheaper mags.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:Who made the barrel for AAC?
No clue. Never really heard anything bad about their barrels. Their can mounting system is fucked, but their barrels and uppers seem to be pretty well thought of. OTOH, you are probably going to have a tough time finding even a low end barrel in blackout for the Remington for what AAC is currently asking on sale.
I think PTG and brownells are blowing out that model reciever for 300ish with no trigger, for anyone who's interested.
I bought mine at a local gunshop for $295 but the box they gave me for it has a Brownell's sticker on it, and that's exactly what it is. I think Brownell's are out of them now. I saw a couple with bottom metal and a rail for sale online, but for more money. I was in the gunshop last night and saw that they still had the bare receiver (it had been there a while), so for shits and grins I started looking up barrels when I got home, and found the sale at AAC.
Also, PTG also offers AR mag bottom metal for the model seven, for those desiring cheaper mags.
Yeah, I looked at that. It appears that you have to machine out the receiver including the factory feed lips, so it's a one-way modification. I'm going to get their AICS compatible bottom metal, which doesn't appear to require any of that. It's not like I am going to need a shit-ton of mags for this anyway. I'm probably going to just get one ten rounder to begin with, and maybe add another one or two later on.