Range Report: CZ527M (7.62x39)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: Range Report: CZ527M (7.62x39)

Post by Netpackrat »

Doing some more searching on feeding problems with the CZ brought up the assertion that the manual allows for feeding single rounds without use of the magazine, and allowing the extractor to simply snap over the cartridge rim. This is supposed to be ungood for a CRF type action, but I looked up the manual online, and there it was in black and white:
Note: Loading is also possible for single cartridges by directly inserting into the chamber without the use of a magazine.
Not sure if it being included in the manual is the same thing as it being a good idea though.

Edit to add: Came upon another post on some forum, where the owner of a 527 in x39 said he jammed up his rifle pretty badly doing this.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I'm sorry for your troubles with the gun, NPR, and feel a little responsible, since I boosted the gun back near the beginning of the thread. One question--did you ever contact CZ-USA about the problem?

I was reading around on some gun forums, some said there's a lug on the underside that is part of the mag catch, IIRC, and that it can be out of position. Some also mentioned feeding problems and tight chambers. Some said the problems lessen or go away as the gun breaks in. I wonder at the lack of accuracy, though.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I've never contacted them, no. I'm still holding out hope for better accuracy from handloading... There is no factory 7.62x39 ammo that is particularly noted for accuracy outside of Lapua, that I am aware of. I'm just not able to handload at the moment. Probably next year for that. And nobody is really to blame but me... I didn't walk into the gun shop planning to buy that; I kind of wanted a x39 boltie, but it was completely an impulse buy. As my gunsmith friend told me in reference to the Beretta Stampede.... I really need to start reading reviews before I buy some of this stuff. :oops:

Edit to add, my extra mag came in today. Also, none of the 5 gun stores I visited today during the pocket pistol hunt had any of the Winchester JSPs that I am looking for, either.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Gunsmith friend is going to be out of the loop for a while, but he has given me some marching orders:
Polish inside of bolt and outside of FP where FP spring rides. Polish side of FP sear surface. Be sure bolt is fully locked home, and FP/sear can get to bottom of cocking ramp without camming on ramp. Check for stock or trigger screws rubbing on bolt / sear. Check that scope mount screws are not protruding through receiver. Be sure bolt catch is allowing bolt to go far enough to rear, for proper round pickup.. Check for proper bolt handle clearance in stock.. Check that FP is not dragging where forked bolt handle enters bolt.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Took the CZ to the range today, and spent an hour or so plinking at clay targets set up on the berm at 40 yards. First thing I did was try the new magazine, which had seemed to cycle rounds better when I tried it in my shop last night. No misfeeds with the new mag. Switched to the original mag, and misfeeds (this was steel case ammo). Back and forth a couple times, same result. I took both mags apart and compared them side by side, and the springs are definitely very different. I put the old one in the range bag, and used the new magazine exclusively from then on. No further misfeeds; confirmed kill.

I put about 50 rounds of steel case ammo (Wolf HP and FMJ) through it and experienced no misfeeds, and no misfires, either. Then I switched to brass case ammunition. I fired 15 rounds each of Herters SP, PRVI FMJ, PMC FMJ, and then 20 rounds of Hornady Zombie Max. No misfeeds, and NO LIGHT PRIMER STRIKES either. Not sure what is up with that... I had lots of misfires on the previous outing, and literally all I did to the rifle in between was run a bore snake down the barrel exactly once. Maybe it has started to break in. Who the hell knows? I finished the day by firing another 20 rounds of Hornady steel case SST, and the last 10 rounds of Wolf FMJ I had brought.

I'm going to contact CZ and see if I can get them to replace the magazine that is bad. And I guess just continue to shoot the hell out of it and see if today was a fluke as far as the misfires go, or if they will return. I'm also going to order some Lapua ammo for further accuracy testing, and have it shipped to family down south. I'll be down visiting in a bit over a month, and can bring it up in my luggage.

Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I took a friend shooting tonight at the indoor range. He brought a Chinese SKS; I'd given him all that Prvi 7.62x39 semi-jacketed soft point ammo a while back. I'd mentioned that ammo before--I bought it for use at the indoor range, nonmagnetic so I could shoot it in my VEPR AK. Wouldn't feed worth a darn. Well, it wouldn't feed in his SKS either. :roll:

The Chicom SKS certainly seemed like a nice gun, looked good. The guy said he's had it for like 20 years. He did put a Tapco hi cap mag on it, which I politely failed to comment upon. LOL It just plain would not feed those rounds--the soft nose would plow into the bullet guide, denting the tip and hanging up in the mouth of the chamber (same problem with the VEPR). We loaded and shot it single round, it did fine. I'd never shot an SKS before! :oops: I rather liked the gun, actually. I could only hope that ammo would load in such a gun as NPR's CZ. It's the only Prvi ammo that ever gave me any sort of problem.

I also took the M1 carbine. The guy really enjoyed shooting it, first time for him. He has a .30 Blackhawk, he now wants the carbine to accompany the revolver.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I guess PRVI makes a PSP round now; I may have to buy a bunch of it:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-part ... ammo-pp734

My main concern with some of the imported JSPs is bullet integrity on game... I suspect that Winchester JSPs might hold together better. I saw they are going to be offering a lead-free JHP designed for hogs, that might be the shiznit.

Also, looks like CZ is offering a modified bolt handle for improved scope clearance:

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/40 ... -New-Style

Not sure if I have any reason to go for it or not. It's possible I may end up with a different scope on this eventually, to make it easier to dial in POI shift with the suppressor from a known zero. That's not something that entered my brain when I first put the old Redfield on it. That will have to come sometime after I have my .300 BLK SBR built and my can is out of jail... I'll have the same issue with it (plus the trajectory difference between subs and supers), so the solution I come up with for the SBR should also be applicable to the CZ.
Last edited by Netpackrat on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

So, this is getting to be more like it:

That's a 5 shot group at 100 yards, almost exactly 1.25 inches. I ordered 90 rounds of Lapua FMJ and had it shipped to my uncle's place in WA, along with more of the Winchester JSPs, and a couple boxes of the PRVI PSP. Recovered it when we were down there recently for a family reunion, and brought it up in my luggage, along with a 1000 round case of Wolf FMJ that had been sitting there for a while. :roll:

The Lapua is reported to be the most accurate factory load in 7.62x39 by far, and that seems to be true. Bullet diameter of the Lapua measured at .310". I also fired another 5 shots of the Winchester, which turned in its usual 1.5" performance. The PRVI, as expected, didn't really impress me accuracy wise. I only put 15 rounds through it before I put it away to play with the Saiga, but the misfeeds and misfires still seem to be gone. Need to get off my ass and contact CZ about getting a replacement magazine in exchange for the one that is bad.

It's too bad the Lapua is an FMJ load, and therefore not suitable for hunting. Not to mention, such a PITA for me to get. But the 3 boxes of 30 that I bought should last me a long time, just used as a reference load for testing.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:I'm going to contact CZ and see if I can get them to replace the magazine that is bad.
Have you tried switching the guts between the new mag and the old one? Could a new follower and spring fix it?

If not, and they won't replace it, perhaps getting a single round follower installed in it and use it for that?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:I'm going to contact CZ and see if I can get them to replace the magazine that is bad.
Have you tried switching the guts between the new mag and the old one? Could a new follower and spring fix it?

If not, and they won't replace it, perhaps getting a single round follower installed in it and use it for that?
I haven't tried switching parts... I'm pretty happy just to have a mag that works now, and I don't want to fuck with it much. Pretty sure that just a spring would fix the bad one... The springs are different between the two mags.