Think Tank: Guns for women (of all ages)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Cobar

Re: Think Tank: Guns for women (of all ages)

Post by Cobar »

With my limited women and guns experience, I have to agree with Pawpaw. I knew a chick that loved her little unobtainium Taurus revolver. She even shot it with full .357 said it hurt but she could hit the target with it. Another hated any revolver and loved a commander 1911. My wife just thinks an AR is the bee's knees and has not found a pistol she likes.

I think they need to figure out what feels ok to hold, then what feels ok to shoot.
Greg

Post by Greg »

My wife prefers 1911's. I don't say a word. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

Hmm...

H&K P2000 in 9mm Europellet?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Greg wrote:My wife prefers 1911's. I don't say a word. :)
Probably best not to. Could be risky!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

I always prefer to start new shooters, especially women, with something very easy to shoot and manipulate.

That pretty much always means a 1911, preferably with a flat mainspring housing and short trigger. Small enough to fit most hands, intuitive controls, superior ergonomics and trigger. We used to take our lieutenants (male and female) to the range before deployment (on our dime, it's not like the USAF actually cared). Didn't take long to get them shooting respectable groups once you showed them a proper two handed hold.

Waver, Chapman, Modern Isosceles... Don't actually care, use whichever you like, the key to all of them is the push/pull hold.

None of them could shoot worth a damn with the Beretta M9 though.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I love my M9s. It's probably because I have giant hands.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.