Vz-58 build, a work in progress

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Denis

Re: Vz-58 build, a work in progress

Post by Denis »

FelixEstrella wrote:Also, before getting ready to press the barrel into the receiver, make sure you insert (after appropriate fitting for your receiver) the piston stop (the little crescent shaped piece that slips into the crescent shaped slot on the upper side of the barrel hole in the receiver) ... life will be much tougher for you if you forget and find need to press the barrel back out of the receiver.
Hmm. How do you know this? :shock:
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

HTRN wrote:"Every time HTRN makes a comment, it costs a WECSOGer a c note" :lol: :lol: :lol:
The the force is strong with that one.

Jedi: "You need a [fill in the blank] tool."
WECSOGer: "I need a [fill in the blank] tool"
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Denis wrote:
FelixEstrella wrote:Also, before getting ready to press the barrel into the receiver, make sure you insert (after appropriate fitting for your receiver) the piston stop (the little crescent shaped piece that slips into the crescent shaped slot on the upper side of the barrel hole in the receiver) ... life will be much tougher for you if you forget and find need to press the barrel back out of the receiver.
Hmm. How do you know this? :shock:
Ask me how many times I've forgotten the handguard clip before commencing to torque the barrel during a FAL build. Only bad words were expressed during those mind lapses. Forgetting the piston stop during a Vz-58 build would result in parts and tools being flung against walls.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
DwightG

Post by DwightG »

FelixEstrella wrote:
HTRN wrote:"Every time HTRN makes a comment, it costs a WECSOGer a c note" :lol: :lol: :lol:
The the force is strong with that one.

Jedi: "You need a [fill in the blank] tool."
WECSOGer: "I need a [fill in the blank] tool"
Scoff...that's because he lowered the bar to a hand tool. I was trying to get you to spring for a lathe!
Denis

Post by Denis »

DwightG wrote:Scoff...that's because he lowered the bar to a hand tool. I was trying to get you to spring for a lathe!
No!!! Don't listen to the little voice that says "I need a lathe..." :?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

DwightG wrote:Scoff...that's because he lowered the bar to a hand tool. I was trying to get you to spring for a lathe!
You gotta bait 'em slowly at first. Once their hooked, then you got 'em for life. ;)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Denis wrote:
No!!! Don't listen to the little voice that says "I need a lathe..." :?
Must .... have ...... [space for] lathe.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Step 2 -- Since barrel is shorter than required 16", we must permanently affix a barrel extension. I chose a Slovakian muzzle brake and silver brazed it on.

Step 2a -- Before commencing with brazing, I quickly blasted the barrel and brake threads, and the forward surface of the sight tower.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Step 2b -- The tools/materials needed for brazing are a $50 BernzOmatic MAP brazing/welding kit, and a tube of silver brazing paste. Screw the brake on about 1/4" from its natural stopping point and apply the brazing paste on threads and contact surface of the brake and sight tower. Continue tightening the brake until it reaches its natural stopping point, with the pin resting in the detente cutout on top of the brake.
Last edited by FelixEstrella on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Step 2c -- Fire up the brazing torch and heat up the joint area (dull red hot) until the brazing material has flowed and filled the space between the brake and the sight tower. Cool ... hit with wire wheel ... knock down any superfluous drops of braze material and give a quick blast.
Blogspot
picsig