Article on US .Mil move to 6.8

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
randy

Article on US .Mil move to 6.8

Post by randy »

This time for sure?

Article from The Military Times
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Mike OTDP

Re: Article on US .Mil move to 6.8

Post by Mike OTDP »

I'll believe it when I see it issued to line troops. The Army, in particular, has a very long history of head-fake procurements.
randy

Post by randy »

Hence my Rocky and Bullwinkle quote.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Interesting that they mention the AMU (once) but they don't mention the .264 USA round that the AMU worked up.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I am not believing this hype train, not at all.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

They will end up fielding something "new" with a more powerful round. The reason is that they have to. As body armor becomes ubiquitous, and better. They need a round with better sustained energy at longer ranges than the 5.56 NATO can do.

Count on it being a telescoping round. The technology is mature enough and it will get them what they need in a similar package to what they have now.

My bet is the "new" rifle will be a rehash of the M16/M4 firing the actually new round.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

If so, I could see them going to an electronic firing mechanism and doing away with conventional priming. The temptation to give officers a "button" that will allow a whole unit's small arms to be either disabled or made live by wireless command will be great.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:47 am If so, I could see them going to an electronic firing mechanism and doing away with conventional priming. The temptation to give officers a "button" that will allow a whole unit's small arms to be either disabled or made live by wireless command will be great.
As a former electronic warfare type, I would LOVE for the opposition to deploy a system such as that.

Might make a basis for a Civil War 2.0 story. The Progressive Forces of Peace and Justice armed with the latest technology finally are allowed to bring the deplorables to heel by rounding them up, only to find their weapons won't work due to localized jamming and EMP generators while the backwards rednecks using "obsolete" guns work just fine.
Termite

Post by Termite »

If Bill Alexander hadn't acted like such a dickhead, the 6.5x39, AKA 6.5 Grendel, would have been very acceptable.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I dunno about that - i dont think it feeds as well as the 6.8 because of the sharper shoulder angle and reduced body taper..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt