Pistol AR Conversion

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
scipioafricanus

Pistol AR Conversion

Post by scipioafricanus »

So I found this today https://getstern.com/

https://youtu.be/RHYtWM03r2g

They make a conversion kit that uses a magazine insert into a standard 5.56 AR that can use Glock, S&W M&P, and Beretta mags. It works by using an pistol upper (they make those too).

Loved the idea of getting a 9mm carbine to go along with my M&P, plus it uses my pistol mags?

Is this a good idea or bad?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
randy

Re: Pistol AR Conversion

Post by randy »

I've been thinking that in the unlikely event I come up with the scratch, that a 9mm AR carbine that interchanges mags with my Glock 17 would make a nice house gun. If I could swing it even do the paperwork to SBR it. For my suburban environment, I think it would be at least as good a fit as my Mossberg 500, but CINCHOUSE and Darlin' Daughter would be more comfortable with the AR.

I don't know anything about this conversion, and am leery about add on mag conversions, would rather get a dedicated lower and be done with it. especially since I don't have any spare lowers not already in use.

Still, it it's reliable, might make a nice part of a "kit gun" set up to have one lower and switch calibers as needed.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
scipioafricanus

Re: Pistol AR Conversion

Post by scipioafricanus »

randy wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:51 am I've been thinking that in the unlikely event I come up with the scratch, that a 9mm AR carbine that interchanges mags with my Glock 17 would make a nice house gun. If I could swing it even do the paperwork to SBR it. For my suburban environment, I think it would be at least as good a fit as my Mossberg 500, but CINCHOUSE and Darlin' Daughter would be more comfortable with the AR.

I don't know anything about this conversion, and am leery about add on mag conversions, would rather get a dedicated lower and be done with it. especially since I don't have any spare lowers not already in use.

Still, it it's reliable, might make a nice part of a "kit gun" set up to have one lower and switch calibers as needed.
Thinking the same thing. AR accuracy and ergonomics with the light recoil of a pistol caliber... what is not to love? I have been lusting over a CMMG 45 carbine that uses Glock 21 mags for a while, but the price is a bit high (I have a Glock 21). But I have a lot of mags for my 9mm M&P. I even bugged Ruger that if they offered their PCC with Smith mags, I would buy one on the spot (they offer a Glock 9mm mag conversion).
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka