M70 Yugo Stock Replacement

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
scipioafricanus

M70 Yugo Stock Replacement

Post by scipioafricanus »

Friend of mine has a M70 Yugo under-folding stock. He isn't a fan of the stock for extended shooting, and would like to replace it with a full stock. Anyone know of a good stock to replace it with?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Old Grafton

Re: M70 Yugo Stock Replacement

Post by Old Grafton »

In my experience the rear trunnion will need replaced as well as welding up the pivot holes for the underfolder axle. It can be done but it AIN'T easy. It's actually easier and cosmetically better to remove the entire receiver and replace it with a solid-stock receiver, Pull the barrel, replace the rear trunnion and a new receiver. It is a PITA.Better to trade it off on another complete rifle. JMO after building hundreds as an 07type2. YMMV
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Way, way easier to sell the underfolder and buy a fixed stock AK. You're talking major receiver surgery as Old Grafton mentioned. I build my own AKs and I would rather do an entirely new build than try to convert. I have personally never built an underfolder because I don't like them at all.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

If he otherwise likes the rifle, tell him to get a piece of closed cell foam pipe insulation and pop it on the arm of the folding stock for a softer cheek weld. Pop it back off to fold it.

Then tell him to buy another rifle with a fixed stock. ;)