Waterproofed Cartriges

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Aegis

Re: Waterproofed Cartriges

Post by Aegis »

A lot of it gets neck sealant, yes. I'm not 100% certain about the HXP stuff, but that's what I'd presume it to be.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

The black muck is actually an asphalt compound. If you want to duplicate it, asphalt tree sealant seems to be the closest available.

But if you want to waterproof your ammo or re-proof ammo, I've had very good luck with this stuff: http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GRPS
Glenn Bartley

Post by Glenn Bartley »

Cartridges are already "waterproof", in the sense that we normally mean waterproof.
Thanks, I was wondering when someone with some knowledge would finally say it.
When I look in the mirror, I am happy to see, some of that nine year old boy, who used to be me.

http://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com/
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I was the one with bad luck with nail polish on some .44 special reloads. Lots of ignition failure.

Most ammo is "waterproof". I have shot federal hydra-shoks after 8 months in my well (in the gun) after retrieval. All went bang. As for cleaning the gun, automatic transmission fluid, or even better, Ed's Red. Just dunk and let sit for a bit.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

So... Have you told the gun in the well story yet? If not, this is a good time to do so...
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

LOL, nope. It is pretty simple, my pop had it IWB and lent over to pull a screen on. In it dropped. A long time later the water level fell and we helped pump and we could go in and fish around. S&W 640, and it is in fine shape still.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.