'Lead-free' Ammunition?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
D5CAV

'Lead-free' Ammunition?

Post by D5CAV »

I got invited to a hunt in the PRK and was informed that lead bullets, including .22 LR, are now verboten because they might sicken vultures and coyotes who frequent gut piles. I leave the .22 at home, since I don't know of any .22LR that's loaded with anything besides lead. I bring a .308 Win and a .223 Rem (.308 for the hunt, .223 for ground squirrels). I figure there's a pretty good chance I can find 'lead free' ammo of the .308 Win flavor, since it's about as plain vanilla as you can get. I figure the .223 Rem is about as common as .308 Win, so I should be OK there as well.

So I manage to find a gun shop that's still in business in the PRK to buy my hunting license, tags, stamps, and some of that 'lead free' ammo.

OMG! $50 for a box of lead free .308 Win!! And there is no lead-free .223 Rem on the shelf.

D5CAV: "Are we supposed to shoot squirrels with .308 Win in this state?"
Gun Shop Clerk: "Well, we also have it in .300 Win Mag"
D5CAV: "Anything else?"
GSC: After looking through the inventory ".340 Wby and .416 Rigby"
D5CAV: "That should be sufficient for squirrels"

Anyone know any shops in the PRK (Silicon Valley Area) that has 'lead free' .223 Rem?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Tanner68

Re: 'Lead-free' Ammunition?

Post by Tanner68 »

Rimfire rounds don't have to be lead free yet. And the lead free zone occupies about a fifth of the state. See if you will be hunting within it.
Go to www.dfg.ca.gov for more info.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

D5CAV, lead-free is required only when hunting in the "range of the condor" areas. This is essentially the coastal mountain area between Monterey and Santa Barbara. The Sierras, for example, are exempt. So, where will you be hunting?

As for your question, my local shop, I think, stocks lead-free. PM me and I'll give you the coordinates and number to call.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I just got back from the hunt, which was in the designated condor range described by Felix. No pigs & few doves, but managed to test a .308 copper bullet on a coyote. Although the copper bullet did what a .308 FMJ would have done (went right through the coyote with small holes on both sides), the KE to body weight ratio was enough to do the job.

It's funny that on one hand the CA state hunting regulations forbids use of FMJ ammo (with heavy fines for non-compliance), yet on the other hand requires the use of ammo that works just like FMJ.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Were you on public land or guided hunt on private?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Private ranch guided by the ranch owner with meals and sleeping in the ranch owner's house. Not exactly a hardship hunt!

Outside of the cattle on the ranch, that coyote was the only thing with four legs that we saw. We didn't even see any ground squirrels.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

...that's the right way to do it though. Esp, if you're not local and haven't been able to scout/pattern the critters.

Mean't to take my son up to similar setup near Paso Robles last Memorial Day but postponed it when i had a set back with my back rehab in the early spring. Hopefully this winter or spring we'll make it.

Group of friends did well for Russian Boar at a private fenced place (fenced to keep the pure russian boars from crossbreeding) near Tehacapi last Xmas. They pulled one guys 28' trailer in and camped. The final count was 5 for 5 in 3 days/2 nights (2 on the first evening). Said it made no difference it was fenced -- so much thick cover and so much territory inside the ranch they couldn't tell.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story