Best deal out there for 7.62 x 51

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
JustinR

Re: Best deal out there for 7.62 x 51

Post by JustinR »

Headstamp NNY 308 WIN
bullet1.jpg
bullet2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

JustinR wrote:Headstamp NNY 308 WIN
bullet1.jpg
bullet2.jpg
Huh. I did a little googling and ran across a thread at another forum that says brass cased "Monarch" is like Wolf Gold, it's actually made by Prvi Partizan. I can't speak to the truth of that. Everything I've heard about Monarch ammo is that it's made by Barnaul. Barnaul says on their website that they use only steel casings. If it is Prvi, consider yourself lucky, because Prvi is very good ammo.

ETA: Okay, I did a little more googling on the headstamp, then had a Duh! moment and looked at some Prvi 6.5x55, 7.5x55, and Wolf Gold 6.5 I have on hand, all do have the "NNY" headstamp. Actually it's the Greek/Cyrillic "Pi", I guess, saying Pi Pi Y, whatever the Y is. Yup, you got yourself some Prvi Partizan, darn good stuff. What did you pay for it? Pity I don't have an Academy Sports nearby! :cry:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
evan price

Post by evan price »

These guys have been doing the homework for years!

http://www.rifle-company.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=431
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Guncrazy

Post by Guncrazy »

MidwayUSA has Winchester 147gr for $125.85/200 rounds.

Link.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Sorry, it took me a while to get back to Academy, but it is $12.86 per box of 20.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Justin, may I ask what you're shooting it from?

Here's a good place to check ammo prices, and hey, you can buy Lithuanian M80 surplus, brass cased and boxer primed, for only $0.46.5 per round at Ammoworks, but you have to buy all 28K rounds of it. And ya get free shipping, oh boy! You can plug in your ZIP at this site, it will figure shipping into the cost:

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=.308

The Monarch at $12.86/20 works out to $0.64.3 per round. The Brown Bear at AIM is $0.37 shipped to my door. Ammoman lists the Lithuanian for $299/500, or $0.59.8 per round, with free shipping.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I have an Indian Ishapore Enfield 2A1 in 7.62x51, $200 on Gunbroker about two years ago, great condition. I finally picked up a new magazine to fix the feeding problems, and a scope mount that I just mounted. I'm saving for a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 to mount on it.

The problem with the ammo you list is that it's all FMJ, and all the local ranges only allow SP/HP/Ballistic Tip rifle ammo, and thus I think the Monarch is still the cheapest. This is why I'm finally starting to reload. :|

Darrell

Post by Darrell »

JustinR wrote:I have an Indian Ishapore Enfield 2A1 in 7.62x51, $200 on Gunbroker about two years ago, great condition. I finally picked up a new magazine to fix the feeding problems, and a scope mount that I just mounted. I'm saving for a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 to mount on it.

The problem with the ammo you list is that it's all FMJ, and all the local ranges only allow SP/HP/Ballistic Tip rifle ammo, and thus I think the Monarch is still the cheapest. This is why I'm finally starting to reload. :|
Okay, take a look over at Ammunition To Go, they have .308/7.62x51 Barnaul 140 gr soft point ammo for $41.95/100, or $0.41.9 per round, and the prices get better--down to $0.39.5 per round if you buy a thousand, plus shipping. This Barnaul IS steel cased, but I wouldn't expect it to be a problem. Would any of the experts care to comment about steel cases in a bolt action? I've shot tons of Barnaul's Silver Bear through my PTR91 with no problems, it eats it up. I've had good luck dealing with Ammo To Go, too. Darn, I should buy some at that price... LOL but I'm pretty good to go on .308, I have a couple thousand rounds of the South African surplus stuff. :D

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/inde ... soft-point
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Guncrazy

Post by Guncrazy »

Guncrazy wrote:MidwayUSA has Winchester 147gr for $125.85/200 rounds.

Link.
The Dutch-auctioning bastards at Midway now have the above ammo for $112.80/200 rounds. I guess I'll be buying yet another lot of it...