loading the 32 acp

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
HirosStorageUnit

loading the 32 acp

Post by HirosStorageUnit »

I have a CZ Skorpion SBR on the way and realize that I will need a pile of ammo for it.
I have maybe 300 empty cases and a set of old ass RCBS dies that won't work with my Dillon.
So Im looking at getting the redding progressive die set.

I will be loading on my Dillon XL 650.

Im after replicating the hardball loads and do not even want to venture into the arena of expanding or hollowpoints for this cal.

Have you reloaded for this cal?
what kind of powder have you used?
should I look at lead bullets too?
any problems aside from it just being small?

Any tips or tricks.

Cheers and thanks
Whirlibird

Re: loading the 32 acp

Post by Whirlibird »

My last loads were thrown together using .32 S&W dies.
I used Bullseye and the Hornady swaged 90gr SWC loaded to feed through the mag.

They worked fine in a Walther PP and most of the time in a H&K M-4, but the 4 didn't like hardball either.

Taper crimp, don't roll crimp. The taper crimp will hold it better during it's trip from mag to chamber.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

You might talk to kbarrett about it; I recall him telling me that he was having major issues getting the .32 to load correctly.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
HirosStorageUnit

anybody else?
mousegun

Post by mousegun »

AA#2 gives inconsistent ejection and tended to vertical stringing with my PP. W231 works OK but nothing special either.
HirosStorageUnit

mousegun wrote:AA#2 gives inconsistent ejection and tended to vertical stringing with my PP. W231 works OK but nothing special either.
wow great those are the 2 powders that I have #10 or more of.
but on the good side if I have to adopt a new powder a pound will go a long way.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
mousegun

Post by mousegun »

The AA load data seems a bit conservative. I feel that I can safely push it a couple tenths more. However, I recommend that you start about mid range and work from there if you decide to try #2. I was using WSP primers, W-W brass, and Remington 71 gr. FMJ. AA published velocities for #2 and #5 seem extremely low. Personally, I think that the powder is not getting enough pressure up in this loading to promote proper burning. In an older Hornady manual, they published that they got best results with Red Dot. That stuff lights off easily enough and works well at low pressure (although it is filthy stuff).