Metals Market

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Ben Rumson

Metals Market

Post by Ben Rumson »

I'm guessing the metals market has collapsed along with everything else. Yet a case of Wolf 7.62 x 39 is averaging around $280.00. Up $100.00 from just a few months ago.

The price of gas has been slashed by 60% or more. How much has the price of metals over all gone down?
Netpackrat

Re: Metals Market

Post by Netpackrat »

You are not seriously asking what I think you are? I've seen you posting here, so I know you haven't been in a cave the last 2 months.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Guncrazy

Post by Guncrazy »

The price of metals has dropped, because demand for the raw materials has dropped.

The price of ammo has increased, because demand for that particular finished product is greater than what the market can supply at the old prices.

Now, if you want to roll your own, you might be able to find some savings over the prices from a couple months ago. I know that in my neck of the woods, the price of Oregon Trail LaserCast 230gr .45 ACP bullets (not finished cartridges) has dropped from $74 to $62. Haven't checked much into other brands or calibers, though.
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

I was over on the GT Forum as well. I know why the price is high. Hell, I was telling people to buy before the election or they would be sorry. Most laughed. I stopped shooting rifle a few months ago to conserve what rifle ammo I have. I'm only shooting and buying pistol ammo now.

I was just curious how much it's actually dropped. I like to know how bad I'm being screwed.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

As stated above, yes, the market demand for ammo is holding the price up. If the obamamania recedes prices should come down. I'd expect the prices for gas and metals to go right back up when the economy recovers, though.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Netpackrat wrote:You are not seriously asking what I think you are? I've seen you posting here, so I know you haven't been in a cave the last 2 months.
With the right equipment, you'd be surprised about where you can reach the internet these days. :P

I would attribute it to two factors:
1) The raw components of the ammo now sitting on the shelves was purchased by the ammo manufacturer at the higher market price, and they must continue to sell their current stock at that price to maintain their profit margin (also applicable to gas stations and gasoline wholesalers).

2) As pointed out above, demand is extraordinary right now, and they can't keep the shelves filled as it is. The laws of supply and demand what they are, the fear of artificially higher prices in the future (Obama's 500% ammo tax) will probably keep prices the same or push them higher.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
esa5444

Post by esa5444 »

I would also bet that ammunition prices probably have a longer lag time in terms of decreasing price as a result of material and shipping costs falling than just about most things, especially when it comes to high volume boolet makers like Remington, or god-help-us, a Russian government run factory like Wolf (Russia considers itself the modern-day Byzantium, and they have the bureaucracy that supports this notion).