Non +P loads for GLock 17

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
randy

Non +P loads for GLock 17

Post by randy »

As noted in this post, I just scored a Glock 17. Moving towards it being my EDC for a variety of reasons.

Looking at fodder for it,at least as a starting point.

Looking at 124gr non+P for now. Will play with heavier and hotter later. Transitioning from the 115gr Silvertips that feed my BHP(which is getting harder and harder to find).

Based on numbers from a variety of sources (velocity testing, gelatin penetration testing, etc), and local price and availability, looking at :

Federal HST

Federal Hydrashok

Hornady XTP

Will run a couple of hundred of each over time to see which seems to work best for me and to develop a list of reliable rounds to pick up when traveling if need be. (One problem with the BHP is that it only really seemed to like the Win STs and Federal 9BP, again getting harder to find as newer fangled kids hit the shelves)

I think all 3 will do the job. The Hornady bullets are available as components for possible practice loads/SHTF quantities of ammo, and I'm leaning that way for the first load to try.

Let the flame wars begin!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Re: Non +P loads for GLock 17

Post by Netpackrat »

For my 10mm, Hornady was the only brand of those I chrono'ed, which met the manufacturer's velocity claim.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I've been looking at 9mm to stock up on, as I talked about in the ammo thread, both for my PM9 and whichever pistol my wife decides to buy. I don't have 9mm dies, because last time I priced it out, it was much harder to justify the savings...and there's the whole issue of time.

I load Hornady XTP's for all my .40 and .45 ammo, and at Cabelas last night, I saw that Hornady has bulk 9mm loaded with XTP's in 75 round bags for $50, which is cheaper than any other factory HP loads (EDIT: I take that back, there are some cheaper options in bulk like Remington UMC HP's). While I prefer their Critical Duty for carry, I think I'm going to start stocking up on the 75 round bags for SHTF.

It looks like they only sell it in 115 grain however.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Precision

Post by Precision »

I have staggered Oath Ammo and Speer gold dot 124 gr. But in truth most any good brand current generation JHP will do just fine. It is more about what your gun shoots well.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

randy wrote:As noted in this post
Based on numbers from a variety of sources (velocity testing, gelatin penetration testing, etc), and local price and availability, looking at :

Federal HST

Federal Hydrashok

Hornady XTP

HST is fine. The Hydra-shok is a 2nd gen bullet which was great for the early 80's but has been completely outclassed by modern bullet designs. The XTP was never designed as a self-defense bullet, it's a repurposed hunting design. Both the XTP and Hydra-shok can get the HP cavity plugged up with cloth and thus fail to expand.

Stick with bullet designs that actually meet the FBI/IWBA performance test criteria.

HST
Gold Dot
Win Ranger-T
Win Ranger-B

The new Hornady critical DUTY is also ok, the critical "defense" underpenetrates.
randy

Post by randy »

Thanks all for for the input. As I said I'm going to be working up a list of rounds that will function and shoot well in this piece so that I can find something if traveling and/or another panic shortage.

Never heard of Staggered Oath, will keep an eye out for it. Haven't seen any Gold Dot locally in 124gr standard pressure, but it is on my list to try.

Most places around here I've looked at so far mainly carry Hydrashoks for Federal defensive ammo. Will keep an eye out for HST

According to the Winchester site, they don't make the T-series 124gr in standard pressure, and I can't find any listing for a "Ranger-B".

I'm familiar with the FBI test criteria, but don't make it my end-all be-all for ammo selection. Maybe because I remember the panicked move away from 9mm after the Miami Shoot Out. As originally done, I think a lot of the early testing reports as released were institutional driven to "prove" that the ammo was the problem, leading to the adoption of the 10mm and then the .40 S&W, both more for political than tactical reasons. I believe that's gotten better, so I take the FBI results under consideration, but not as holy writ.

And, while it should not be a consideration, in my version of reality, the cost and local availability of a particular round is a driver, hence my ability to get 100 rounds of the 124gr XTP standard pressure to start testing and for carry as I work through the process. (I know about the "200 rd qualification for carry" rule of thumb, but again, my circumstances make that seem like a luxury. I may live, or not, to regret that. Somedays sucks to be me. 25 rounds of XTP and 100 Rds of FMJ so far with no malfunctions and accuracy issues are mine, not gun or ammo)

Again thanks for the input. Over time I intend to work through the 124gr standard pressure, then 147gr, and then maybe look at +P loads. Since my other 9s are all Hi Powers, I'm not in a hurry to have ammo on hand I am not comfortable in running through them if needed.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

randy wrote: I can't find any listing for a "Ranger-B".

Ranger Bonded, part number RA9B 124 grain Bonded standard pressure.