Cheap ammo: reman, Wolf, Tula, etc. - opinions?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.

Ammo poll!

Buy 'Murican made
19%
Buy name brand
7%
Cheap is OK
19%
Russian is OK
11%
Reman is the bomb!
11%
Reman makes your gun a bomb!
No votes
Magic brownies
33%

Total votes: 27

Weetabix

Cheap ammo: reman, Wolf, Tula, etc. - opinions?

Post by Weetabix »

I was looking at gun-deals.com and gunbot.net for ammo prices, specifically, 9mm. The cheapest are all Wolf, Tula, and reman ammo.

I've not had much experience with Wolf, but that was very dirty. None with Tula. The multi-colored Bears were OK, but I had my doubts.

What are your thoughts on all this? Try them for training/plinking, or spend the extra 4 cents/round for something better?

I haven't seen a poll for a while, so here's one pulled out of my butt.

Fire away!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Darrell

Re: Cheap ammo: reman, Wolf, Tula, etc. - opinions?

Post by Darrell »

I refuse to shoot Wolf or Tula in anything I own. I've heard Wolf Gold is generally good--it's contracted out to other makers such as Prvi, etc. The various Bear ammos have worked okay. Golden Tiger is da bomb for steel cased, if you can find it.

Speaking of Prvi, I've had good luck with it. Also with Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, and most Aguila. PMC too.

I've been using a lot of Geco ammo lately. Very good quality ammo at decent prices. AIM and others have it for sale.

Remington is shit ammo, IMO, at least their rimfire. I haven't shot much American ammo in a while, except perhaps CCI.

I bought some Freedom Ammo a while back, 147 gr 9mm. It's new production, not remanufactured. No problems so far.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I'm pretty much w. Darrel except I shoot Wolf and Tula in my commie guns. Yeah, they stink and are dirty as hell, but they work. And Golden Tiger is the best steel cased stuff I've ever shot in x39.

For my handguns, I stick w. brass cased stuff.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Freedom offers both new and reman. I've run both their 115 and 124 grain 9mm (both remain) through my M&Ps write successfully.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I shoot a lot of Wolf/Bear steel case in the AKs; I have shot it in the CZ-527 as well. It generally goes bang; delivers minute of coffee can accuracy for the most part. I have seen it referred to as "medium quality ammunition" which seems about right. I have a case of the Golden Tiger but I haven't really used much of it. I fired a 5 shot group of it through the CZ and the accuracy could not be distinguished from the other brands. If Wolf starts making steel case 300 Black I doubt if I would run it in the AR.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Generally I like only run steal case in com-block guns, as they seems to take it allot better then western designed guns.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Handguns- don't bother with steel cased stuff, because while it usually goes bang, I have noticed about a .5% failure rate on Wolf/Tula. That means about 5 out of every thousand fail. However that is distributed over all of the stuff because I've seen some boxes that have multiple duds.
Aluminum CCI isn't terrible, I've never had a specific problem with it, but by and large the off-brand brass cased stuff is about the same price and you get reloadable brass cases.

If we're talking 9mm and 45, there's always Prvi, S&B, WWB, or something bulk bought that is decently priced.
If you mean revolver calibers, you should be reloading that already, it doesn't get any easier- no chasing brass! I can load up 38 specials for less than the price of buying 22LR these days.

Rifles- Commie guns run steel just fine, they were designed for it. Something with a bit more precision would be best served to stick with brass. Lots of steel gets shot, and I don't think it's probably bad, but again 1) it's not reloadable 2)Its not as well made MOA suffers and 3)you can often get reman brass cased stuff for the same price.

I focus on brass case stuff because, even if you don't reload, you might, or you can sell or trade good brass off. It still has value over the scrap metal price.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

What Evan said. I've had quite a few guns in the shop, more frequently in the last couple of years, which have stuck cases hard to remove, all steel, and mostly in AR's. Shoot whatever you can afford, but be advised.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

evan price wrote: I can load up 38 specials for less than the price of buying 22LR these days.
We've gotten to the point that I can load cast-bullet .45 ACP for about the same cost as .22LR. Which is funny, in a "Damn, this sucks!" kind of way.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Termite

Post by Termite »

Wolf .22lr competion grade is good stuff......and it ain't exactly cheap.

Sellior & Bellot makes good stuff, but it can be a bit dirty, at least the pistol ammo. Their .32acp is loaded a bit hot, and my P32 loves it. Their 9mm is loaded to Euro specs: the 124gr is as fast as some American(SAAMI spec) 115gr.

Geco is good stuff.

Prvi is about average.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."