Frankford Rotary Tumbler

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
HTRN

Re: Frankford Rotary Tumbler

Post by HTRN »

Thumlers are expensive, but then the quality is a lot higher than the typical Frankford arsenal gear.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

That was my general impression, at least as regards the quality. Comparing Amazon prices, the Thumler I bought is definitely more expensive since it sells for about the same price, but does not include a package of the stainless pins like the Frankford. I will also note that all of the included literature was about rock tumbling, so brass definitely seems to be an "off label" use so far as the manufacturer is concerned. Hopefully the "new" reloading demand for their products is more than offsetting any inroads units like the Frankford might be making into their more traditional market.

I guess the real question now, is whether or not I will still find a use for my Dillon CV-500 vibratory tumbler once I start using the Thumler. A local guy I know said he got rid of his vibratory tumbler after he started using a rotary.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Not sure how I missed this thread last month or before, but I did.

I acquired a Frankford Rotary Tumbler back in November. $144.00 through Amazon. I really, really like it. I have had range run brass, that sat in the AZ weather for a year and then in storage for a couple or more that looks like new. I typically run that dirty ugly brass the full 3 hours.

I have actually gotten into the habit of just running the brass for an hour with detergent and water, no media for about an hour, then drying before decapping. I do a proper sort and then a polish run of three hours with the stainless media, Dawn and Lemishine. Rinse thoroughly, dry in a big towel for a couple days then continue reloading.

I had .45-70 cases, with black powder fouling that had set all summer, that polished up like new.

I have two vibratory tumblers that I need to find a good home for now.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I need to remember to start hunting for "Lemi-Shine" to see if I can find any locally, since everybody seems to use it for tumbling.

Rumpshot, my buddy who used to own a pool hall had a big vibratory tumbler that was used to polish the pool balls. I don't recall what media was used. And I am sure there are other uses as well.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:I've come across two ideas ... a nifty little hand cement mixer "drum" on Amazon called "oddjob", complete with molded in paddle.
Hmm. Sounds ideal.

Odjob. Available on Amazon.com for US$42. Eligible for free shipping. Ships to Belgium. Excellent!

One log-in later, shipping is now a paltry US$72, plus US$23 "import fee deposit". So only $140 for a plastic drum!

Of course the one seller on amazon.co.uk wants the equivalent of US$220 for the same item. No sellers on amazon.fr or amazon.de

Grrr. :evil:
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Netpackrat wrote:I need to remember to start hunting for "Lemi-Shine" to see if I can find any locally, since everybody seems to use it for tumbling.

Rumpshot, my buddy who used to own a pool hall had a big vibratory tumbler that was used to polish the pool balls. I don't recall what media was used. And I am sure there are other uses as well.
After looking for a couple of weeks, I found my local Wally World had it on the shelf.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, Fred Meyer didn't have it. Probably have to hold my nose and go to that other place.

Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I usually get mine from Amazon, but suspect you might run into your normal shipping problems.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:
HTRN wrote:I've come across two ideas ... a nifty little hand cement mixer "drum" on Amazon called "oddjob", complete with molded in paddle.
Hmm. Sounds ideal.

Odjob. Available on Amazon.com for US$42. Eligible for free shipping. Ships to Belgium. Excellent!

One log-in later, shipping is now a paltry US$72, plus US$23 "import fee deposit". So only $140 for a plastic drum!

Of course the one seller on amazon.co.uk wants the equivalent of US$220 for the same item. No sellers on amazon.fr or amazon.de

Grrr. :evil:
That's the the price you pay for bein a no good furriner! :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:That's the the price you pay for bein a no good furriner! :mrgreen:
Well, you don't live in the USA either :mrgreen: