Frankford Rotary Tumbler

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Steamforger

Frankford Rotary Tumbler

Post by Steamforger »

PSA had a sale on brass earlier in the month (I think it may still be going) and I'm here to tell you: This once fired, uncleaned brass is about the dirtiest, nastiest, funkiest shite I've ever seen picked up from a range. If I was forced to guess they either bought a few pallets of .mil brass cleaned up from a range from DRMO, or they are knee deep in brass at their ranges until they do a cleanup. I mean there's dirt and vegetation mixed in.

In the past I'd usually "pickeled" my brass with a mix of vinegar, hot water, Dawn, and salt. I got decent results if it wasn't too dirty to start with.

This week I ordered one of these. A big selling point was the wet cleaning system using a mix of stainless pins and liquid cleaners. By most accounts some Dawn with a hint of Lemi Shine does a right, bang up job. Another nice point is the pins are supposed to do a thorough job of cleaning primer pockets and the inside of the case. Cases should look new coming out. I expect I'll be doing 500-600 .308 cases this weekend. I'll post some before and afters.
First Shirt

Re: Frankford Rotary Tumbler

Post by First Shirt »

Yes, please do! I've been debating this, and was waiting for a [strike]sucker[/strike] [strike]pigeon[/strike] [strike]guinea pig[/strike] volunteer to try it first. Thanks!

there's one born every minute :lol:
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I CAN TELL YOU IT IS VERY, VERY NOISY!!!!
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

THANKS, I'D KINDA FIGURED THAT, BUT IT'S NICE TO HAVE IT CONFIRMED. IS IT FASTER THAN VIBRATORY TUMBLERS?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Generally no. But you can't use the vibatories with stainless media.

Also, you make really big ones out of those plastic cement mixers.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I know a guy who made his out of a home treadmill and some 5-gallon plastic water jugs. Wasn't entirely sure I believed his sales pitch, though, so thought I'd wait for more trusted confirmation.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I'll post some pics shortly.

ETA- I'm glad I got it. It did a much better job than anything I've used so far, but it does need some time to get that "cleaner than new" finish.It's a bit louder than I'd like being an apartment dweller and all, but I'll either take it to work or do it during more appropriate times of the day.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I got some stainless media to polish a sawed off 105 casing. A retired Marine buddy was about the business of making a beer stein out of it. I ran it in my cement mixer. Put it in a 1 gallon paint pail and packed that in a 5 gallon bucket that I wedged in the mixer.

Building a rotary tumbler is on my project bucket list. Maybe if we had longer winters here in SoCal I'd get more of those hobby type projects done and get a respite from the outside landscape, fencing and paving projects.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Hmm you gave me room for thought. I have a 5 gallon paint mixer that is of the angled rotary type.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Update:

I did a 90 minute roll this afternoon. Results were excellent. Very happy.