CCI #200 Large Rifle Primers

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
dodpilot

CCI #200 Large Rifle Primers

Post by dodpilot »

Should I expect CCI 200 primers (the non-benchrest version) to yield groups under 1/2-inch at 100 yards from a Stiller Precision .308 Win rifle and Lothar-Walther barrel, McMillan Stock, all custom built, Sierra 175-gr HPBT MKs, Sinclair shooting benchrest, no-wind, if I weigh my Varget powder?

In other words, are those primers as consistent/accurate as Fed #210 Match primers? Close enough?

- CS
PawPaw

Re: CCI #200 Large Rifle Primers

Post by PawPaw »

It depends on what you consider close enough, and what your reloading practice and benchrest technique are like. In short, it's not an easy question simply because so many variables enter into the answer.

CCI 200s are good enough for my work, but I don't insist on half-inch groups. Hovering around an inch is good enough for my purposes.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've never used the Fed #210 primers, but the CCI Large Rifle (Standard) primers deliver more accuracy than I can live up to.

Both of my granddaughters have, on at least one occasion, delivered a 0.5 MOA group at 200 yards, using rifles with factory barrels. The ammo was 7mm-08, using 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded in Winchester nickled cases over 41.5 gr. of RL15, and loaded on a Dillon RL-550 progressive press. And primers are always CCI, as long as I can still find them.

Granted, this was off a solid bench, and good sandbags, and under near-as-dammit perfect conditions, and I think the bragging sized groups was more a testament to how much work they've put in learning to shoot well, than any commentary on the quality of the loads or the instruction they received, from me, or anyone else.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Post by Denis »

dodpilot wrote:In other words, are those primers as consistent/accurate as Fed #210 Match primers? Close enough?
Who knows? Every load is different, and so is every rifle and every shooter. Use what you can get, try them and see what happens. The trying and seeing is all part of the fun! Enjoy!

(Range reports, we loves range reports...)
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

I reload some, but, don't understand some of the "principles" involved.
Why and how do the primers affect accuracy? Seems counter-intuitive to me.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Some primers are more consistent than others. Based on my somewhat limited experience with reloading, I'd say that primers may constitute 5% of the basis of a good load. Bearing in mind that my experience is limited, since I've only been reloading since 1969.

But I've had the best "luck" with CCI primers, in everything from .45 ACP, to .30-06.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

If you've never seen primers being filled/assembled you'll probably be surprised to learn that the metal parts are machine-installed in gridlike trays but the priming compound is glopped wet and gooey onto those trays and squeezed into the cups by hand with a squeegee-type tool. The difference between standard and BR primers is supposedly that the goo is applied on the BR line by employees with many more years of experience and consistency. That was the info I was given in a phone conversation with a tech at Sierra Bullets in the 1970's. Might still be true, I dunno. I've only ever noticed a difference in the .222 Remington, and it wasn't enough to keep me buying the BR primers.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

First Shirt wrote:Both of my granddaughters have, on at least one occasion, delivered a 0.5 MOA group at 200 yards, using rifles with factory barrels.

{snip}

I think the bragging sized groups was more a testament to how much work they've put in learning to shoot well, than any commentary on the quality of the loads or the instruction they received, from me, or anyone else.
Put me on the pre-purchase list for First Shirt's Guide To Raising Minions From Scratch. I don't have any yet, but when I do, I want to do what you do. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I use CCI primers because from everything I've read, they tend to be the most consistent. Some people have said they'be gotten less deviation from CCI standard primers than other bench rest brands. I really haven't had the drive to experiment to that extent, but I'll take the word of the bench rest shooters that do. TIFWIW. I also use Varget for 5.56 and .308 as it's reported to be very temperature insensitive and consistent.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Weetabix wrote:Put me on the pre-purchase list for First Shirt's Guide To Raising Minions From Scratch. I don't have any yet, but when I do, I want to do what you do. ;)
Remember, the purpose of a grandfather is to help kids get into trouble that they wouldn't think of on their own, and give them an alibi for getting out of it. ("No, they were fine! They were with me the whole time!")

And if you think of something to do, and it makes you giggle for more than 10 seconds, DO IT!!! It'll probably be one of those things they tell their grandkids. ("You should have seen it! Grandpa and I were ....")
Lindy Cooper Wisdom