Hornady 110 grain .308 TAP, penetration?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
JAE

Re: Hornady 110 grain .308 TAP, penetration?

Post by JAE »

DRT makes a metal powder round in .308 and I have no idea how it performs. I'd imagine it still takes a lot of drywall to stop it.
Precision

Post by Precision »

JAE wrote:DRT makes a metal powder round in .308 and I have no idea how it performs. I'd imagine it still takes a lot of drywall to stop it.
Some/many of the powdered metal rounds are designed to penetrate through a solid dry object and splatter when they hit a wet (flesh) object. I am not sure how well that translates on a rifle round, but I know some pistol ones make that claim, specifically regarding windshields.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I'm just not feeling a .308 for across-the-room defense, especially in an apartment. A shotgun with heavy bird shot (think lead #4) would be better.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yeah, I'm no more interested in that loud of a crack indoors than I am shooting my .357 indoors.

A 12 ga low recoil #4 buckshot round will git 'er done and not take as much of your hearing with it.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

PawPaw wrote:I'm just not feeling a .308 for across-the-room defense, especially in an apartment. A shotgun with heavy bird shot (think lead #4) would be better.
Yes, seems like trying to use .308 indoors is missing out on all the experience and developments of oh, the past 100 years or so. The ones that led to the submachine gun (PCC to those of us without the 'extra happy' setting on the happy switch) and the intermediate power rifle round and the assault rifle to chamber it.

If you're going to be close up, you might want something better suited to being close up than full power battle rifle.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
toad

Post by toad »

I wandered by the ammo case at Wally World. Very strange. No .22 LR, no surprise, had .223 in some heavy bullets and a couple of boxes of .300 Black Out. They had some 7.62 X 54. But what was really weird was no 7.62 X 39 MM what so ever.
Shot gun ammo wasn't to bad, they had some low recoil military style buck shot. :?:
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

toad wrote:Shot gun ammo wasn't to bad, they had some low recoil military style buck shot. :?:
That low-recoil shotgun ammo is really nice. Nice tight groups at 25 yards, it keeps all the pellets in the kill zone of a B27 target. You give up some initial velocity to get the low recoil, but nine .30 cal balls is going to leave a mark when they hit you in the chest. It's what I carry in my cruiser shotgun, and I'm very confident with it.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House