what did I buy? cannon bullets?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
gandalf23

what did I buy? cannon bullets?

Post by gandalf23 »

Anyone know what these are? Found them at an estate sale today.

The knife in the photos is about four inches long.

They appear to be cast iron with a lead band near the base, I assume to catch the rifling.

Anyone know what these are?
evan price

Re: what did I buy? cannon bullets?

Post by evan price »

I don't specifically know what those are BUT they look like some sort of artillery projectile and I know there have been incidents where antique projos were still full of explosive filler, and after years of sitting peacefully suddenly detonated. Check them out carefully.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

evan price wrote:I don't specifically know what those are BUT they look like some sort of artillery projectile and I know there have been incidents where antique projos were still full of explosive filler, and after years of sitting peacefully suddenly detonated. Check them out carefully.
I concur, and don't recommend banging them with a hammer to check ;)
Other than that I can't help but I do approve of that cutting board.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

You might want to see if you can get them X-Ray'd, simply because you already know they can pack explosives/incendaries into .50 cal rounds, and these are CERTAINLY MUCH LARGER THAN .50 cal - and we DO NOT want you (nor anyone else) hurt!!!

If you can, note the color of any bands around the rounds. Hopefully, they will be blue (meaning INERT and/or PRACTICE rounds). If you come across other color bands, make a note of them. They indicate what's in them, and if it's ANYTHING other than blue, you should be afraid - 'cause it's likely to be a live round, and depending on the color, you could be looking at an explosive, chemical, biological, or (not likely in the extreme), a nuke round (which I HIGHLY DOUBT would even be possible since it would be MUCH larger than what you've posted in the photo). But absent any blue paint either on the entire round or on any rings around it, I would be VERY CAREFUL with it as you might be looking at a live UXO (UneXploded Ordnance). I suppose you could play stupid games and use it for TARGET PRACTICE from AT LEAST 300 yards (provided it didn't have nuke or chem/bio color bands on it)!!

EDIT: PLEASE be careful with those rounds, especially since you don't know what they may contain (gas, phosphorous, biological/neuro agents, etc), and we DO NOT want anything bad to happen to you and anyone else!!

Even though WP (White Phosphorous) doesn't have a large dispersal range, you CERTAINLY would NOT want to have ANY of that shit land on you!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

I have one of those. A tanker friend of mine told me that they are solid metal and do their work by fragmentation after having passed through the armor shielding. I found mine in the crawl space of my old house. I think the banding is perhaps brass or bronze on the one I have. Makes a helluva paperweight.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

whoops. fk.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

You've already gotten the right advice. Please follow it and be careful.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

308Mike wrote:... If you come across other color bands, make a note of them. They indicate what's in them, and if it's ANYTHING other than blue, you should be afraid - 'cause it's likely to be a live round, and depending on the color, you could be looking at an explosive, chemical, biological, or (not likely in the extreme), a nuke round (which I HIGHLY DOUBT would even be possible since it would be MUCH larger than what you've posted in the photo).
I think the smallest nuke round is 155 so he's probably good on that.

Another option might be to weigh them and use the diameter, length, and weight to try and google what they are, might be a touch cheaper than having it X-rayed first off.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

I did not even think about if there was explosives or something inside. guess I'll dig out some calipers and a scale tomorrow and see what they are. as far as I can tell there is no color on them at all other than rust.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

gandalf23 wrote:I did not even think about if there was explosives or something inside. guess I'll dig out some calipers and a scale tomorrow and see what they are. as far as I can tell there is no color on them at all other than rust.
PLEASE be careful until you find out what they are!!! We don't want anything bad to happen to you and/or your's!!!

If you discover it's solid metal - so much the better!! We just don't want you to discover it's UXO, BY ACCIDENT!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad