Heavies for 5.56

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
morsetaper

Heavies for 5.56

Post by morsetaper »

So by this time tomorrow, I'll have my hot little hands on a new DDM4. And I'm looking for a heavy (70 g +) bullet to load for it. I want something suitable for game, so I think match and varmint projectiles are out. I have found the Swift Scirocco, 75 g., but that's all I've found in a game bullet. Does anybody know of, or have first hand experience with another heavy bullet on game?
First Shirt

Re: Heavies for 5.56

Post by First Shirt »

The Barnes Triple Shock bullets are pretty expensive, but the 62 gr. bullets have worked well on pigs. Have no reason to believe that the heavier versions wouldn't be equally effective.

My M4gery is a 1-in-9 twist barrel, so I haven't experimented with heavier bullets.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Precision

Post by Precision »

I load 77gr Berger OTM over 25.2 gr of AA 2520 (max load is 25.4 IIRC) I get roughly 2720 fps (24" 1/8 twist) and 1MOA at 200 yds - when I do my part, from a good rest...

Good luck finding them. They are frequently out of stock. When I last saw them (last month) I bought 600.

In my single hit on a Georgia buck last year was dropped with a single stagger step. DRT in other words. The concern I had was NO exit hole. If I had gotten a marginal hit, tracking would have been an issue due to lack of blood flow from an exit wound. My hit was just behind the shoulder blade and just below the spine.

I have gotten just over 1 moa @ 100 out of the Sierra Match king soft points but they are 65gr (IIRC).

I have some Priv Partisan 77gr pills as well, but I have yet to test them at the range or in hunting.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

CByrneIV wrote:Hornady 75gr...
Match? A-Max?
I do have reservations about using a match bullet on game, although Precision has had success. Are my concerns unfounded?

"Although they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing bullets are not recommended for hunting."
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

CByrneIV wrote: they're excellent against human targets and other thin skinned game.
That's actually what I have in mind for this load, but didn't want to come right out and say it :shock:, Y'know, NSA and all.

Might save me a few $$$ too-the scirocco is a pretty spendy little pellet. Thanks.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Doesn't the 75gr A-Max create too long of an OAL when it's seated correctly?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

That is another concern I have about the heavies. Any other potential pitfalls I need to be aware of in loading these?
Precision

Post by Precision »

The OTM are specifically designed for soft to medium skinned animals (people) and have superior penetration in non-aquabased material then other match pellets. They do BLOW up (Berger claims 40-80% shedding within 5 inches) upon hitting soft living tissue, thus the no exit wound thing. But DEAD RIGHT THERE is what I want on a two legged predator. Not to mention it should punch through heavy clothes etc before even thinking about starting to shed.

I have had zero issues with setback on the Bergers in 200+ rounds. I don't crimp them at all, but I am careful to make sure my sizing is good. I also load these on a single stage and I trickle measure each charge... to make sure they are top notch.

If the Priv Partisan ends up being a good bullet (accurate), it is available and half the price of the Bergers.

the pitfalls are long pills are much easier to load too long for magazines
be careful to check bullet / throat interface for binding etc
Don't read the wrong line on the loading chart cause the pressure spike will be bad if you over do it based on 70ish grain vs the 77 gr.

Use powders designed for heavy for caliber they will be much better on pressure and give better velocities compared to the stuff used for 55gr. I have good luck with Varget and AA 2520.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I've got nothing against 223/5.56 in principle. In fact I have one. But I think it is too marginal of a cartridge for deer. (yes I know that it is a legal cartridge in many places.)

My $0.02.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Vonz90 wrote:I've got nothing against 223/5.56 in principle. In fact I have one. But I think it is too marginal of a cartridge for deer. (yes I know that it is a legal cartridge in many places.)

My $0.02.

You must get a solid hit in the vitals. Which means you must be proficient and willing to wait for the right shot. My single example was a dead right there hit at about 100 yards. I have seen many OO buckshot hits at 40 yds that needed tracked for hundreds of yards.

A 77 gr bullet with a MV of 2700fps gives 2460 fps at 100 yds and 1040# of energy
at 200 yds 2250 fps and 860# of energy

A 130 gr 270 is about 500# more at the same ranges. Obviously better, but either is plenty of energy for any southern state whitetail assuming you make a good shot.