Lead free rabbit/squirrel - 12 Gage

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Vonz90

Lead free rabbit/squirrel - 12 Gage

Post by Vonz90 »

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/hunt ... -only-rule

I've noticed that Missouri has added some lead free zones that apply to chasing non-waterfowl hunting as well. It is not anywhere that I hunt, but to be on the safe side I'm thinking to go that route as I need to replenish my rabbit/squirrel ammo anyway and thus I would not need to worry to much about it in case I go outside my normal haunts.

I normally use 2.75" 6 shot. Mostly Federal lately but I'm not that picky. I can go to 3" (or even 3.5") in my Mossberg, so that is not a problem per se if it warranted.

Any recommendations, experience or suggestions?
Last edited by Vonz90 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Termite

Re: Lead free rabbit/squirrel - 12 Gage

Post by Termite »

Back when I duck hunted, I used Remington 3" #3 steel shot. We were floating down bayous and creeks in a pirogue, jump shooting ducks, and taking squirrels if we saw them. #3 worked just fine on everything.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I don't recognize any of those area names. Are they on the east side of the state?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote:I don't recognize any of those area names. Are they on the east side of the state?
I think they are mostly along the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. The ones I know for sure where they are around Hannibal give or take a little.