Choosing To Specialize In (Mostly) One Caliber. Which One?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Netpackrat

Re: Choosing To Specialize In (Mostly) One Caliber. Which On

Post by Netpackrat »

Get an AK and a few cases of 7.62x39, then call it a day. For SHTF you will want a rifle with the ability to turn cover into concealment. Let your pistol be a pistol and your rifle a rifle.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:Get an AK and a few cases of 7.62x39, then call it a day. For SHTF you will want a rifle with the ability to turn cover into concealment. Let your pistol be a pistol and your rifle a rifle.
Something very like that will be part of the diversification plan after I get out of this current open air asylum.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Yogimus wrote:Greg if you ever plan on selling that carbine, you got a buyer. I will include a full frontal...
Are you trying to lure him into some kind of .... trafficking? :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Yogimus wrote:Greg if you ever plan on selling that carbine, you got a buyer. I will include a full frontal...
Are you trying to lure him into some kind of .... trafficking? :D
Consenting adults. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I'm not cheap! Just a good value.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

There was an article by a coroner making the rounds a few years ago--he said that bodies he'd examined with lots of bullet holes in them tended to be 9mm and .380. Single shot fatalities tended to be .357 and .45.

As for carbines--I have JRs in 9mm and .45. The 9mm has run like a clock from day one. The .45 has been a problem child. I wouldn't want to be shot with either.

As mentioned in the levergun thread, hard to go wrong with a lever/revolver combo in .357.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

7.62x39 is a good choise , I have chosen the 7.62 x 51 ,although the ak is in my view a better economical choise and all round more use full cartridge . And I tend to get attached to things :lol:
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Darrell wrote:There was an article by a coroner making the rounds a few years ago--he said that bodies he'd examined with lots of bullet holes in them tended to be 9mm and .380. Single shot fatalities tended to be .357 and .45.
I notice he didn't mention 10mm. Probably because there was nothing left for him to examine.. :shock: :ugeek: :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Darrell wrote:There was an article by a coroner making the rounds a few years ago--he said that bodies he'd examined with lots of bullet holes in them tended to be 9mm and .380. Single shot fatalities tended to be .357 and .45.

As for carbines--I have JRs in 9mm and .45. The 9mm has run like a clock from day one. The .45 has been a problem child. I wouldn't want to be shot with either.

As mentioned in the levergun thread, hard to go wrong with a lever/revolver combo in .357.
Check the spring in the .45, some are out of factory specs, namely too light.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Darrell wrote:As for carbines--I have JRs in 9mm and .45. The 9mm has run like a clock from day one. The .45 has been a problem child. I wouldn't want to be shot with either.

In my limited experience, problematic .45s generally fall into one of two categores; magazines or springs. A faulty magazine will cause more grief than you can imagine. My general practice is to isolate the magazine, then dispose of it by crushing it in a vise and dropping it in the trash bin. Life is too short for bad magazines. Many times I'll save the follower, just as a spare, but if a magazine is bad, it gets crushed.

Many folks recommend changing the springs o a 1911, but I've never been burdened by a 1911 that refuses to run with good magazines. I imagine that the springs might need changing, but I run a 230 grain bullet at 800 fps through a full-size gun, and springs have never been an issue. YMMV, of course, and Wolf has made a good living over the years selling springs, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

And, for general use, it's hard to beat a .357 revolver/levergun combo.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House