BIT?... DIY ammo battle packs

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Aesop

Re: BIT?... DIY ammo battle packs

Post by Aesop »

Precision wrote:So are you saying I need to be careful that the stripper clip edges don't poke holes or are you saying make sure my sealing machine does a good job or are you saying double down and throw an oxygen absorber in there too?
Consumer-grade food-sealers use plastic rolls. For the time duration you're likely contemplating, i.e. multiple years, plastic isn't any sort of impermeable.
It's fine for six months in the freezer with chops or last season's deer. For keeping ammunition functional, not so much. It would work for the duration of a deployment in a pack, but not year in and year out without changing out the bags. Which is pointlessly spendy for more rolls, and a lot of extra work.

This is why anyone properly using HDPE plastic buckets for long-term food (or anything else) storage generally doubles down by sealing whatever inside a mylar bag first. The mylar provides a better vapor barrier than food sealer rolls (some of which will rather annoyingly self-delaminate), and the buckets are mainly vermin protection and easier mobility without the weight or expense of steel, etc.

Your best bet is to do as NPR does, using metal ammo cans for their exact intended purpose, along with some silica packs.
Oxygen absorbers are mainly for preserving food; whereas moisture is the main enemy of stored rounds, thus silica is the go-to choice there.

The shelf life of ammo stored essentially bone dry in a metal GI ammo can with a rubber gasket seal and a silica pack is easily something like 20+ years or more immaterial to the external climate as long as the cans haven't rusted through. The main factor at that point is probably the powder's ultimate shelf life itself, not the storage method. We were shooting military ammo from the mid-'60s in the late '80s that was in fine shape.
I'm sure the fact that case heads and primer pockets were lacquer sealed was no small factor either, something to consider if you're rolling your own for deep stocking purposes.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

we were shooting scads of Denver '42 ammo in the late 70's. Much of it hadn't even been stored in ammo cans -- and this was in damp Western WA. Never had a problem with any of it.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I have no idea if this is a good deal or not:

http://www.amazon.com/Silica-Gel-Desicc ... 009NH5S8U/
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Greg wrote:
skb12172 wrote:Why not just get a sturdy, gallon-sized freezer ziplock bag and some silica gel packs? Also, why FMJ for the ammo?
Those tend to leak too much for long-term storage.

Edit: Wanted to add, he said the whole purpose for wanting to roll his own battle packs was so he wasn't stuck with FMJ because that's not his choice for social work.

Correct. Missed it in the first reading.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

skb12172 wrote:
Greg wrote:
skb12172 wrote:Why not just get a sturdy, gallon-sized freezer ziplock bag and some silica gel packs? Also, why FMJ for the ammo?
Those tend to leak too much for long-term storage.

Edit: Wanted to add, he said the whole purpose for wanting to roll his own battle packs was so he wasn't stuck with FMJ because that's not his choice for social work.

Correct. Missed it in the first reading.
He may have added that later. (Is there a smiley for confused?) :?

In any case, I think it's a great idea but that it isn't something really suited to roll-your-own. Packaging has gotten a lot better in recent years, but isn't DIY yet. (Think juice boxes and long term storage emergency rations.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

my purpose for doing this is not for long term cache storage. I do the dessicant in steal GI ammo cans with a good gasket. Pretty set and forget.

The reason for doing this is to add replenishment ammo to my bug out bag, without the bulk of 25 magazines. This way I can roll with the 6,8,10 mags and refill those as time allows. They are protected from the elements, specifically a nasty wet pack while I am sloshing through crap, stuck bugging out from a hurricane...

Using this for my back up ammo will save space at no less than 2:1 compared to running with everything in a mag.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Greg

Post by Greg »

Precision wrote:my purpose for doing this is not for long term cache storage. I do the dessicant in steal GI ammo cans with a good gasket. Pretty set and forget.

The reason for doing this is to add replenishment ammo to my bug out bag, without the bulk of 25 magazines. This way I can roll with the 6,8,10 mags and refill those as time allows. They are protected from the elements, specifically a nasty wet pack while I am sloshing through crap, stuck bugging out from a hurricane...

Using this for my back up ammo will save space at no less than 2:1 compared to running with everything in a mag.
Sounds sweet to me. And so long as you have enough mags, you'll save a fortune on magazines.

I'd test out the food sealer machine to make sure the pouches it makes are strong enough, but within the limitations you plan on holding yourself to your plan sounds really good.

Carry a few extra heavy duty ziplocks for when you stop to reload mags and don't use up a complete battle pack.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

Greg wrote:
Precision wrote:my purpose for doing this is not for long term cache storage. I do the dessicant in steal GI ammo cans with a good gasket. Pretty set and forget.

Sounds sweet to me. And so long as you have enough mags, you'll save a fortune on magazines.

I'd test out the food sealer machine to make sure the pouches it makes are strong enough, but within the limitations you plan on holding yourself to your plan sounds really good.

Carry a few extra heavy duty ziplocks for when you stop to reload mags and don't use up a complete battle pack.
I carry several as a matter of course already, but good thought.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

If you're only going to seal up a "basic load" of 200-300 rounds or so, you only need to do an annual check, including probably picking one mag's worth at random and test-firing it, because at some point, the seal will fail. It should work for that purpose, until it doesn't, then you'll want to/have to reseal the whole load. For the weight and space savings, a small batch like that sounds like a reasonable trade-off. And as previously noted, getting some purpose-made sealant, or even just using clear lacquer nail varnish, around the rim and primer pocket, will probably be worth the time invested.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Precision

Post by Precision »

Aesop wrote:

If you're only going to seal up a "basic load" of 200-300 rounds or so, you only need to do an annual check, including probably picking one mag's worth at random and test-firing it, because at some point, the seal will fail. It should work for that purpose, until it doesn't, then you'll want to/have to reseal the whole load. For the weight and space savings, a small batch like that sounds like a reasonable trade-off. And as previously noted, getting some purpose-made sealant, or even just using clear lacquer nail varnish, around the rim and primer pocket, will probably be worth the time invested.
Fair enough. Thanks for the input.