7mm-08 load data

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
First Shirt

7mm-08 load data

Post by First Shirt »

I'm working on the grand-daughter's deer rifle for this fall, and was wondering if anyone here reloaded for a 7mm-08 Rem. I've got four different reloading manuals, the LoadMap book, and Ken Waters Pet Loads book. An embarrassment of riches, or as Grandpa would say "Too much sugar for a cent."

I'm looking for a load that will generate 2500 fps with a 140-gr. bullet from a 20-inch barrel. Right now I have 140-gr. Nosler BTs, 140-gr. Sierra Game Kings, and 139-gr Hornady BTSP Interlocks. Will be using Winchester cases, and CCI standard LR primers. For powders I have RL-15, W748, and IMR-4350.

Being short on time (I have to have this all set up and running by the end of September, for her birthday) I'd rather not futz about with lots of experimentation (also because I'm lazy, cheap, and have an inherent fear of re-inventing the wheel).

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Aegis

Re: 7mm-08 load data

Post by Aegis »

All I've got that can help is the Hornady Manual; they recommend, for a 24" barrel, 36.7gr of RL-15 for 2500 fps (min: 35.0, max of 41.9); and 41.3gr of IMR4350 (min 39.5, max 46.5).

Speer manual only lists 145gr bullets, and I've never touched a 7mm-08 in my life, so take it for what it's worth.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

I do not reload for 7mm-08 but do reload for similar calibers. (.308, 6.5mm Sweed, etc)

Use either Reloader-15 or H4895

If you are keeping the velocity down to 2500 I'd stick with the Nostlers Balistic Tips.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I'm going to start with the Nosler Ballistic Tips, and 40 gr. RE-15. Out of a 20-inch bbl, should give between 2500-2600 fps, which should be manageable recoil for a tall-but-skinny 13-YO. If it groups pretty well, i.e, if it will go 1-1 1/2 inches at 100 yds, I will be tickled to death.

The whole purpose of this exercise is to make sure that if she fails to get her deer, it will not be the rifle's fault. That's all I can control!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I have a Model 7 in 7mm-08 with the 18.5" barrel. I have not yet chrono'ed the load, but I have one that put 5 140 grain Accubonds into just under an inch at 100 yards, using Varget. I can look up the charge later when I am home if you are interested. I had previously tried RL-19 and found it to be a bit too slow for the short barrel.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Yes!! If you don't mind, I'd be delighted to try that, seeing as how Varget is one of the easier-to-find powders around here.

I'm trying to hoard my Reloader-15, since I have a couple of .30-06 loads with that that work an absolute charm.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

First Shirt wrote:Yes!! If you don't mind, I'd be delighted to try that, seeing as how Varget is one of the easier-to-find powders around here.

I'm trying to hoard my Reloader-15, since I have a couple of .30-06 loads with that that work an absolute charm.
I would just about kill for a 4 pound jug of Varget at this point. I haven't seen any in stores here since before the stupidity started. I bought a couple of pounds of BLC2 a few weeks ago when it showed up (briefly), just to be able to load for my .308.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Okay, so my 7mm-08 load is a 140 grain Nosler Accubond over 41.5 grains of Varget, in a Remington case, using a CCI 200 primer. I used an RCBS Precision Mic to adjust the seating die to seat the bullets .020" off the lands, which resulted in an OAL of about 2.810". I assume I got the data out of the Nosler book, but I seem to recall it wasn't quite the max load. Been meaning to chrono it, but I may not get that done this year.

First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Thanks, I'll give that one a try too. I have an older Nosler manual, and it doesn't list anything with Varget for the 7mm-08. The Sierra book shows a 140-gr. GameKing @ 2800 fps with 43.0 grains Varget as a max load.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote:Okay, so my 7mm-08 load is a 140 grain Nosler Accubond over 41.5 grains of Varget, in a Remington case, using a CCI 200 primer. I used an RCBS Precision Mic to adjust the seating die to seat the bullets .020" off the lands, which resulted in an OAL of about 2.810". I assume I got the data out of the Nosler book, but I seem to recall it wasn't quite the max load. Been meaning to chrono it, but I may not get that done this year.
I finally chrono'ed this load. 10 shot average of 2577 fps out of my Remington Model 7 with an 18.5" barrel.