SAAMI--Sporting Ammunition And The Firefighter

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Darrell

SAAMI--Sporting Ammunition And The Firefighter

Post by Darrell »

Very interesting video of ammo behavior in various fire scenarios:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXoww ... r_embedded

Found Via Southern Rockies Nature Blog. I wish I had a tenth of the ammo consumed in the tests!
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Re: SAAMI--Sporting Ammunition And The Firefighter

Post by Netpackrat »

Darrell wrote:I wish I had a tenth of the ammo consumed in the tests!
Watching that made me sad....
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Yeah, over 400,000 rounds burned up or otherwise destroyed. Sheesh.

I've heard that if firefighters know you have quantities of ammunition stored in the home they'll stand back and let it burn. Don't know the truth of it, but going by that video, looks like there's very little actual risk from burning ammo.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

my understanding is that the main risk isnt from the ammo itself, but the detonation of ammo CANS and secondary fragment hazards. Rapidly burning solids creating over-pressure in containers. Even vented containers can detonate if the venting is inadequate.

Those old 50 cal cans WILL explode if you seal em up with powder and burn em. (The lid can go pretty far, too)
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Darrell wrote:I've heard that if firefighters know you have quantities of ammunition stored in the home they'll stand back and let it burn. Don't know the truth of it, but going by that video, looks like there's very little actual risk from burning ammo.
They attacked the fire pretty aggressively in my case. I did inform the FD there was ammo stored in cans. However, the fire itself was in the upper floor. The knowledge there was ammo stored on the premises didn't seem to deter them at all. They even brought my firearms out to me for safekeeping in my truck rather than let them stew in smoky/chemically water for more than a few hours.
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Thank you for posting this. I forwarded it along to a firefighter buddy on a fairly large fire department. Perhaps he'll see to pass this along.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix