SA 7.62x51 price

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Rich Jordan

SA 7.62x51 price

Post by Rich Jordan »

A friend is going to set up a table at the next gun show in November to raise some cash. He's selling surplus gear and reloading components and tools mostly but also has two cans of South African 7.62x51 ammo (140 round battle packs, don't remember how many packs in a can). This is brass cased, Berdan primed, non-magnetic jacketed ammo.

Prices I'm seeing asked online vary from $70 to $125 per pack (plus shipping), but the lower prices were 2+ months ago. I know that .308 price in general is high right now. What would be a good asking price for him to maximize his take-home earnings and minimize his take-home unsold ammo? If you have a feel for that in a 'retail gun show' environment.

Thanks
Rich
Darrell

Re: SA 7.62x51 price

Post by Darrell »

Rich Jordan wrote:A friend is going to set up a table at the next gun show in November to raise some cash. He's selling surplus gear and reloading components and tools mostly but also has two cans of South African 7.62x51 ammo (140 round battle packs, don't remember how many packs in a can). This is brass cased, Berdan primed, non-magnetic jacketed ammo.

Prices I'm seeing asked online vary from $70 to $125 per pack (plus shipping), but the lower prices were 2+ months ago. I know that .308 price in general is high right now. What would be a good asking price for him to maximize his take-home earnings and minimize his take-home unsold ammo? If you have a feel for that in a 'retail gun show' environment.

Thanks
Rich
I thought the SA stuff came in 200 rd battle packs. I bought some years ago at ~$70 each, it's good ammo.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Since it's for a gun show take whatever you think is a fair price and triple it. That should put you in line with the other dealers.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

If he's willing to ship via UPS, I'd take some off his hands at $70 a pack + shipping.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

rightisright wrote:If he's willing to ship via UPS, I'd take some off his hands at $70 a pack + shipping.
I can ask but he really does need to maximize his take. Otherwise I'd be in line for some at friends and family pricing ;)
evan price

Post by evan price »

Darrell wrote:I thought the SA stuff came in 200 rd battle packs. I bought some years ago at ~$70 each, it's good ammo.
No, that's Port. Zud African is in 140's.

$.50 a round is the going price right now for berdan primed brass cased surplus. Given that it's at a gun show I'd say $100 per sealed BP would be a nice price to settle for. Ask $140 per and take the best offer over $100.

I'm sitting on a couple cans of this myself that I bought for $200 shipped back in the day, wish I had a couple pallets of it. Who knew...
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

My friend just asked, with the unpleasant results yesterday, are we likely to see another run-up on ammo prices, and limited availability? If so he'll hold off selling his SA ammo until that happens (he really needs to maximize his returns).
evan price

Post by evan price »

CByrneIV wrote:
Rich Jordan wrote:My friend just asked, with the unpleasant results yesterday, are we likely to see another run-up on ammo prices, and limited availability? If so he'll hold off selling his SA ammo until that happens (he really needs to maximize his returns).
Probably for the next few months, 'til the new congress is in session and any gun control proposals die horribly, yes.
Absolutely, yes. There seems to be NO 762x51 out there for a good price, not even the steel cased crap. If things hold true to 2008 then we're looking at $1 a round for military x51, especially sealed battlepacks of good stuff like the South African.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Sounds like he should hold off until a late November or early December show to sell then, but I'll tell him to keep an eye on the online auction sites.

Its a shame he had to sell his only .308 rifle but it sounds like he'll make a good amount back on this ammo.