what century is this again?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Greg

what century is this again?

Post by Greg »

I mentioned a while back that I bought myself a surplus Mauser- well a Mauser-pattern rifle, anyway. It's a cz24, from the serial # it was one of those made on contract for Romania. I still haven't gotten the cosmo off yet, but spring is coming, it has to be (please?) and I've already got ammo - a couple hundred rounds of Czech surplus I received as a gift.

Yes I spent actual cash money, in this the 21st Century, to buy stripper clips and bandoliers. All the searching I did online I found exactly one 'regular' merchant selling them - as in listing them as an SKU on his site - (buymilitaria.com) and he's perpetually out of stock. Finally I found someone on the 'bay who seems to have a regular supply, bought a set (2 x 7-pocket bandoliers and 28 brass strippers) and got them today. Decent price, too. He even sent me 2 extra clips, though they don't really work- but I appreciate the thought.

Anyone else with a surplus Mauser (or even SKS) who ran into this problem?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Kommander

Re: what century is this again?

Post by Kommander »

Did you try E-bay/gunbroker?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Funny you should ask. I was just about to correct my original post- I automatically said 'the 'bay' (eBay) because that's the only auction site I frequent. But this time I found the goods on Auction Arms, which I had never been on before.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

A lot of times you can find Turkish ammo that comes in bandoleers on clips.

Not the best ammo, but you get bandoleers and clips.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jered wrote:A lot of times you can find Turkish ammo that comes in bandoleers on clips.

Not the best ammo, but you get bandoleers and clips.
I just did a little look around for Turkish surplus. The bandoliers and clips I bought look much like what the Turkish ammo comes in, just without the ammo. :) (Except that my bandoliers are vaguely blue-ish.)

Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Turkish ammo comes in different colored bandoleers and types of stripper clips. The ammo from the early 30's had brass stripper clips and the late 30's had steel ones IIRC.
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Wrenchbender, any word on whether the brass or steel strippers work better? IIRC the Mosin Nagant brass strippers worked better than the steel ones (or maybe it's the other way around -- I have CRAFT disease sometimes).
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Windy Wilson wrote:(or maybe it's the other way around -- I have CRAFT disease sometimes).
Don't worry, you're certainly not alone in that regard! :D ;) :? :? :lol:
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Champions Choice sells stainless steel stripper clips, but they're aimed at Highpower shooters and are not cheap.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt