.40 S&W 16 inch barrel

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Precision

.40 S&W 16 inch barrel

Post by Precision »

Ok so I was looking at Ballistics by the Inch for velocities of .40 in my new (to me) sub-2000.

According to their chart velocity ranges from 1636 fps at 135gr Corbon down to 1084 for 165gr Federal Hydra-shoks.

Without looking, I don't remember what I have in my Glock but I'm pretty sure its 165gr Corbon. My point is, I am trying to figure out if my pistol ammo makes good sense in the Sub - 2000. So assuming it is the 165gr corbon at 1351 fps, am I sending those JHP's down range too quickly and they are likely to shatter or have some other not good issue?

Second thing, how much difference between POA and POI am I gonna have with variations on grain weight vs velocity?

The testing (so far) with the gun was 180 gr truncated cones from Fiocchi - rated at 1000 fps at the muzzle

I am wanting to get a single load for both my Glock 22 and the sub-2000 but I can run two different bullets if needed. If I do that, I will just have to keep a mental note that the POI will be off a little if I need to swap mags. I do keep a mag in and a spare with the Sub-2000. So I am probably overthinking it.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/