Experimental cook-off, or science wins again

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
FelixEstrella

Experimental cook-off, or science wins again

Post by FelixEstrella »

You've seen the movie drama, where a "bullet" thrown in the fire kills someone.

Well, I've always been skeptical. A simple understanding of physics would tell you that as the powder burns in a completely unsupported cartridge, the pressure builds up to the point where the bullet is pushed out of the case mouth. At that point, the remaining powder burns harmlessly ... well, perhaps with a little jet action on the empty case.

So, I tried it. Putting a 9mm cartridge on a sheet of plywood, I held a lit propane torch to the cartridge until it "cooked off". Sure enough, there was a loud bang, the case jetted harmlessly across the garage floor, but the bullet remained, almost unmoved, sitting on the plywood.

Science wins again.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Jeffro

Re: Experimental cook-off, or science wins again

Post by Jeffro »

I've had .22s go off in the vacuum cleaner - it is somewhat disconcerting to hear a bang while cleaning house. Usually, the bullet remained seated with a small flap blown out of the side of the case, also blowing out part of the crimp.
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Shane
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Yet a cook-off in a barrel (or chamber) is another matter entirely.

There are various ways a round can cook off, it can go primer-first, which would probably be the most dangerous to bystanders since the powder would start burning normally until the case pressure exceeded the friction (or crimp) holding the bullet to the casing. A powder ignition without the primer going off is probably the safest type, and hopefully the case is heated unevenly causing a unsymmetrical expansion of the case with subsequent relief of the expanding burning gases of the powder.

This *could* make an interesting science project for some deserving high-school student to present to his GWF peers and teachers (and administration). Educate them through science.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

This experiment implies that storing ammo in steel boxes provides safety to firefighters who may be trying to extinguish a fire in your house.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I wouldn't assume as much. Try throwing some loose rounds into an ammo can (with extra cardboard as required to simulate your situation) and set it into a firepit and see how things do with various cook-off temps, etc......
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

FelixEstrella wrote:This experiment implies that storing ammo in steel boxes provides safety to firefighters who may be trying to extinguish a fire in your house.
Unless they are linked and in their original box. When the cartridges are all together they provide the neccesary pressure needed to send those rounds flying.

Trust me, I have the pictures to prove it. Or rather, I will if I can remember to take the pictures out of my toolbox later this week and bring them home to scan 'em.

7.62 NATO linked does not like burning trucks...
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
DwightG

Post by DwightG »

Gen Julian Hatcher wrote about this topic in Hatcher's Notebook. Any who haven't read it should do so.
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Good experiment, but Mythbusters got to it first.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

workinwifdakids wrote:Good experiment, but Mythbusters got to it first.
(a) I don't have a TV.
(b) It's fun teaching kids the difference between Hollywood and Physics
(c) As a friend of mine so succinctly said it, "I have an unbounded enthusiasm for all things that go boom".

;-)
Last edited by FelixEstrella on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blogspot
picsig
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Seekher unwillingly did this in real life a couple years ago.