Sweet loads

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
FelixEstrella

Sweet loads

Post by FelixEstrella »

Thought I'd share my "sweet loads" with the forum. As usual, don't blame me if you blow yourself up, don't substitute components without reducing load 10% first, etc. etc.

I've accumulated this list over about 7 years of handloading. All are mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FelixEstrella on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Denis

Re: Sweet loads

Post by Denis »

Sweet! Which load do you recommend for chronographs? ;-)
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I prefer .223 and .45 myself...
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Denis wrote:Sweet! Which load do you recommend for chronographs? ;-)
8mm. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

So far, the only really 'sweet' load I have developed is for .303 British. All the usual disclaimers apply, YMMV, start low & work up, yadda,yadda, ....

This is a match load that I developed using the Optimal Charge Weight method. It also matches the trajectory of .303 Mk VII Ball ammo, despite the slightly low velocity, due to the higher BC of the bullet used.

.303 British OCW Match load
Sierra MatchKing 174 gr .311 (.499 BC)
Full-length resized HXP (Greek) brass, trimmed with Lee trimmer to 2.212 minimum length
41.1 gr Alliant Reloder 15
Winchester LR primer
OAL 3.061" (just fits L-E No4 magazine)
Crimped with Lee FC die

2395 fps MV (Corrected from 2389.4 10' from muzzle)
SD 16.1

This load groups 1-1.5 MOA or less from a scoped L-E No4, and about 2-3 MOA with iron sights. It may do better with a better shooter behind the buttplate.

Besides my two No4's, CC has tried this in his sporterized No1 MkIII at the Austin NOR shoot back in March.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives