First reloads of the new year

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
SoupOrMan

First reloads of the new year

Post by SoupOrMan »

25 rounds of .40 S&W, 7.0 grains of Longshot behind a 180-grain Hornady XTP. Hopefully they'll shoot well, but they'll be waiting until it's warm enough to go shooting again.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
PawPaw

Re: First reloads of the new year

Post by PawPaw »

30 rounds of .308 Win. 165 Sierra GameKing bullet over 43.0 grains RL15.

Deer season is over here on Jan 17th and this is not the ammo for my primary hunting rifle. This ammo is tailored for a Handi-Rifle and I'll use it to fine-tune the zero sometime after the hunting season is finished.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

80 rounds of .380. Barry's preferred plated 100 grain RNHB bullet over 2.5, 2.7, 2.9, and 3.1 grains of AA#2 (20 each load). Looking for the lightest load that cycles the P3AT.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Precision

Post by Precision »

Durham68 wrote:80 rounds of .380. Barry's preferred plated 100 grain RNHB bullet over 2.5, 2.7, 2.9, and 3.1 grains of AA#2 (20 each load). Looking for the lightest load that cycles the P3AT.
If I may ask why the Lightest load that will cycle.

Obviously, I know you don't want a load that won't cycle, but in my experience with the exception of the corbon factory defense loads, pretty much everything is light and even those aren't exactly stout.
Darn short, skinny grip on the other hand... gets old after 40 or so rounds of even the bunny fart stuff.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Precision wrote:
Durham68 wrote:80 rounds of .380. Barry's preferred plated 100 grain RNHB bullet over 2.5, 2.7, 2.9, and 3.1 grains of AA#2 (20 each load). Looking for the lightest load that cycles the P3AT.
If I may ask why the Lightest load that will cycle.

Obviously, I know you don't want a load that won't cycle, but in my experience with the exception of the corbon factory defense loads, pretty much everything is light and even those aren't exactly stout.
Darn short, skinny grip on the other hand... gets old after 40 or so rounds of even the bunny fart stuff.
I find factory .380 pleasant enough, but I always prefer lighter loads for practice. I made the mistake of buying a 1911 for my first handgun and a 30-06 for my first rifle and developed a pretty serious flinch along the way. light loads have been my default ever since.

I was also trying to load as light as possible because these were my first batch of reloads ever... in any caliber. I figured if I somehow went wrong and double charged, 2x 2.5 grains wouldn't be as catastrophic as 2x 3.5 grains. I know that is the wrong way to think and have since realized that I need to check and re-check enough to have 100% confidence in my loads.
FastRope71

Post by FastRope71 »

If you want 100% confidence in your loads not being double charged, use the bulkies powder you can, and see if you can use a charge that will overflow the case or at least fill it enough that you won't be able to seat a bullet.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

FastRope71 wrote:If you want 100% confidence in your loads not being double charged, use the bulkies powder you can, and see if you can use a charge that will overflow the case or at least fill it enough that you won't be able to seat a bullet.
I thought of that, but didn't know enough about powders when I was out shopping. I settled on AA#2 because it was the only powder left in the store for which I could find load data for both .380 and 9mm. AA#2 fills the .380 cases enough so that a charge over the max load would really stand out upon visual inspection of a loading tray full of cases. Haven't gotten to 9mm yet.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

500 .45 ACP 230 gr and 450 5.56...
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

100 .223 using the cases from last month's Appleseed. only 200 plus cases to go... :|
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Yesterday I loaded 25 rounds of .45-70 for the Trapdoor Springfield.
405 grain hard-cast lead bullets, 60 grains of FFFG black powder. Lubed with world-famous Jr. Lube.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?