can you reload blank brass?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
gandalf23

can you reload blank brass?

Post by gandalf23 »

I was looking on the government liquidation website and saw 2,000 pounds of fired 5.56mm blank brass up for auction in San Antonio.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/v ... Id=3257480

Can the crimp be trimmed off and this reloaded with bullets? Or is blank brass thinner or thicker or in some other way not usable as regular fireable brass?
Rod

Re: can you reload blank brass?

Post by Rod »

Not that I know of. You'd probably have to cut too far down to get away from the weak points caused by the crimp. We use crimped brass for our gunfight reenactments and a couple of guys have tried it. you end up with brass that'll split.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I think you could turn it into 7.62x25 brass, but since that is relatively available these days, it wouldn't be worth the effort.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

I'm pretty sure the brass isn't anywhere near as consistent as normal cartridge brass. The exterior dimensions should be pretty near identical, but the interior is less of a certainty, given that it doesn't have to contain a bullet, or all that much powder, relatively speaking. Case walls might be thicker or thinner, sometimes both in the same cartridge. That's how it was with some .30-06 blanks we tore apart a while back, just for shits and giggles, so it may be different in newer/different caliber brass.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Netpackrat wrote:I think you could turn it into 7.62x25 brass, but since that is relatively available these days, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

.380 brass. :mrgreen: