Handloading for the .300 winmag

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
HTRN

Re: Handloading for the .300 winmag

Post by HTRN »

A coupla things...
1)I wouuld take a long hard look at using H1000 to start with - it has a reputation for being less erosive on throats than "Reloader". Also, I think Reloader is really too slow for the case capacity - Reloader 22 seems to give better results with the 210s.
2)I wouldn't bother with Moly, period. A high volume shooting 22cf for woodchucks is another story..
3) A good idea is to mark the bottom of the case of any fliers with magic marker. If you get another flier with that case, toss it.
4)Weight sorting?

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BadgerVet

Post by BadgerVet »

I like the Winchester cases also.

This is probably of no help to you on the powder but my most accurate loads were with H205. It's long gone from their lineup but I still have two pounds left for when I want to load up some "bragging rounds". A few of us like to wager on occasion for who has the tightest group with our 'big' guns and I need all the help I can get.

When I run out I'll probably start with Hodgen powders again and try to duplicate the burn rate,etc. as close as possible. A call to the Hodgen company may be in order. Actually, I'd bet that any of the powder companies would be happy to discuss it with you.

Looking forward to future reports on this project.
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

Moly, go with it or don't. But remember to clean the bore bare when you change bullets or you will get wierd results.

1/10gr is fine for powder. Especially when considering 70+ grains of powder.

Do check for run-out. Be it die induced, case neck (thickness or straightness) or otherwise you can shrink groups phenominally with this simple procedure. Even if you just roll the cases and loaded rounds on a piece of glass, you can see +.005" run-out and it will effect groups.

In a bolt gun as you are going to build, a neck size only die is warranted. Forget headspacing on the rim and use the shoulder like a conventional case.

The Berger's are excellent choices, however I haven't played with them in .30 caliber so you're on your own there.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Send me your barrel and I will cryo it. When I did the experiment with Marlin Firearms we saw an improvement in barrel whip after multiple shots, plus the extended life.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

I've had good luck with Re-22 in all my 300WinMag loads, from 168gr to 210gr.

Winchester brass isn't very strong; I've had almost 5% neck splits after 5 firings. FC brass is stronger, but the throat thickness isn't uniform.

If you can get BHA brass, that's the way to go.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig