Linotype rebound - Warning

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
FastRope71

Linotype rebound - Warning

Post by FastRope71 »

Boolit casters. Be aware that you may be experiencing this phenomenon and exposing yourself to significant danger.

IT seems that bullets cast from linotype have a tendency to "grow" over time.

People have reported that bullets cast then sized at .453 have grown in diameter to .456-459
.430 bullets have grown to .432. This is an apparent trait to alloys with substantial amounts of antimony in them.

Here is the link to the thread on the castboolits forum
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed
Termite

Re: Linotype rebound - Warning

Post by Termite »

How much linotype are we talking about? Most of the casters I know use mostly wheel weights, with maybe 10-15% linotype thrown in. A 90% wheelweight/10% linotype bullet dropped from the mold into a bucket of water is pretty hard.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
FastRope71

Post by FastRope71 »

I think the original poster was casting straight linotype
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

How long does this process take? I've kept linotype bullets around for six months or so after sizing them, and never noticed any problems. (This was before I learned to heat treat cast bullets, and saved the linotype bullets for hunting/special purposes.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Linotype has gotten to be $$$. Most use wheelweights or similar alloys(6-2-92 springs to mind). If you need a hard bullet, you can waterdrop 'em, and get 'em in the 18BHN range(vs. 18-19 for Linotype)

The "creep" is well known - Cerrosafe undergoes it as well. It should happen over a day or two. I do find that much growth hard to believe, I don't think it would grow by more than a thousandth.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

It has been known by me too. I only use linotype for 357. I size them down to .356 before loading with a Lee sizer kit.
DwightG

Post by DwightG »

I have several boxes of stuff I cast from pure linotype over 25 years ago. Lino wasn't that expensive back then, I was young, single and relatively flush/foolish and it cast such pretty bullets. I miked several different sizes. The stuff I had sized back then to .309 measured .309 today. Same for the .452 and .458 bullets, unchanged. The linotype was virgin metal purchased from Non-ferrous Metals on Harbor Island in Seattle, a commercial vendor of lead alloys so it was real linotype.

I have heard of alloys that grow and then shrink back over time. Maybe that's the case here.