Ballistic Shields

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Rentsy

Ballistic Shields

Post by Rentsy »

While Wikipedia trawling, I somehow got to Ballistic shields. Huh. If I were ever actually in danger, I sure would want one of those. Too bad I'd be insane to carry one of those bunker-types with me 24/7.

Then, I saw something interesting. Police thought they'd be insane to carry around a big, bulky piece of metal and plastic too. However, some companies are making light, foldaway shields from polycarbonates that provide level IIIA protection.

These things are supposed to be light and small, and we've all got a little room in the trunk, right? Certainly for something that could save our life if we found ourselves in the middle of an active shooter situation.

The one thing I don't know, and I suspect is the answer as to why we don't see more of these, is the cost. These materials are hardly cheap.

What is the state of the ballistic shield-civilian market?

[edit, after one post] The Baker Batshield costs 3,000 dollars.
Last edited by Rentsy on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clyde621

Re: Ballistic Shields

Post by clyde621 »

I suspect that you would only find such items in the high security business, maybe for VIP protection situations.
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.
Theodore Roosevelt
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

Oh, I don't know about the high security bit, we're trying to get two of them for the entire county to share. Felony warrant service and the possible barricaded suspect make them very alluring. The issue out here is longguns not handguns.

Problem is out here in the wastelands, there's a whole 12 full time sworn officers including a wildlife officer in the county. (Three of these still in training)
So assembling anything resembling an entry team requires time and planning. Shield? Someone could bring it with them.

And the polycarbonate sheilds are nice against handguns, but out here there's more than one old M-1 stacked in a corner still loaded with black-tip.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

If it's just for your own use, check out a plastics fabricator -- just sheets of lexan don't cost nearly that much -- and can easily get to quite bullet proof.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Unless you plan on forcing entry to a potentially covered door or making an opposed ascent/descent of a stairway, you don't really need one. In the context of defensive use, you'd be better to keep both hands free for shooting and maximizing your maneuverability.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
DougWojtowicz

Post by DougWojtowicz »

Quickly... ROBIN... the...BAT shield...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Reminds me of a device, called a "Scumshield", that I used to fit to Lego Mad-Max style cars when I was a kid. Basically a hinged transparent cockpit lid that lay down over the windscreen, so that when you hit someone and they splatted all over the windscreen...well, you get the idea.

Yeah, I know; I was that kid...
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult