Saurez: THE 22LR AK, AMMO COST, AND AIRSOFT

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
SeekHer

Saurez: THE 22LR AK, AMMO COST, AND AIRSOFT

Post by SeekHer »

THE 22LR AK, AMMO COST, AND AIRSOFT

OK...I know ammo is more expensive. It is like gasoline was during the summer. But it will balance out and go back to a price point that is more palatable, not to what it was in years past, but more palatable.

There are guys wanting AKs in 9mm and in 7.62x25. then there are other guys saying those calibers suck and that only the 7.62x39 is worthwhile. And other guys wanting AKs in 22 LR so they can go train on the cheap.

Look guys....ammo has always gone up. Right now...those who didn't buy any before will pay higher prices. Wait a few months when demand drops off and see how the prices will drop. Trust me. When manufacturers can't sell anymore Wolf at $350 per 1K, the price will begin dropping. Where it stops depends on where you guys begin buying again.

The AK SMG project has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with shooting on the cheap. There is a viable and useful place for the SMG and that niche cannot be filled by a handgun, shotgun, or a rifle. It may be filled by a rifle to a degree but with many disadvantages. So to further develop the art, there is a need for the SMG concept to be developed further. In fact, if anyone wants to bring a 9mm SMG (of any make or kind - semi auto or full auto I don't care) to a Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting class, please bring it. We want to see how it stacks up.

SMG curriculum development froze with the studies of Chuck Taylor and the HK International school way back in the mid nineties. As soon as the M4 became popular, nobody needed HK anymore and SMG study stopped cold. Well, we will change all of that...and in a way that it is not SWAT Cop focused, or weapon specific.

This project will focus on the use of existing and proven SMGs such as the UZI and others, and integrate them into our Rifle/Pistol matrix of conceptual applications. It will also focus on the development (if possible) of an AK-based SMG in 9mm and in 7.62x25.

Now I want to address the issue of ammo-cost. I would ask you why you have an AK? What is its true purpose in your mind, and not how do you explain it to any liberals that may unfortunately infest your life.

If it is to go to the range and bump-fire the thing in and endless stream of ballistic masturbation to the whoops and calls of similarly mindless "operators", then never you mind about a single thing I say. Hold on tight, let the eyes roll back in your head and carry on bro. I have nothing at all for you.

If, on the other hand, your intent is the development of true skill-at-arms, I will point out that there are far better methods of obtaining that skill than an expensive, tempermental 22 LR AK-imitation. Here are three.

One - get off the couch, turn off Oprah, The Military Channel, or Judge Judy and go do dry fire drills with your AK. Guys have commented on how smooth our staff instructors handle an AK. Cool - thanks. But we expend absolutely no ammo getting that way.

My gunhandling is developed and kept sharp in the garage with a 30 minute a day session. Guys that think this is "boring" and don't want to do it because they can't focus are lazy and undeserving of the term "warrior".

Two - get yourself an Airsoft Kalashnikov. It is cheaper than a 22 LR unreliable AK or unreliable conversion kit (same goes for Glocks!), and unless you actually LIKE going to the range and hanging out with Zumbo and the red flannel - orange hat brigade, you can actually train at home without ever having to even put hearing protection on.

Three - Bring a pistol caliber SMG to the class. We want to see how these things hold up, and the vast majority of our shooting is inside 25 yards anyway, so give it a try. Any so-called "gun guru" that sneers at your pistol caliber carbine or SMG is an idiot. You can tell him I said so.

So there it is. Stop complaining and take the easy solutions.

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: Saurez: THE 22LR AK, AMMO COST, AND AIRSOFT

Post by Combat Controller »

Obviously responding to comments not referenced in this article. Who on earth would want a 9mm AK though?

True that dry firing and handling the weapon is the best way to fly.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Actually, I've been acquiring the parts needed to build a 9mm AK. Lichtenberg Research manufactures a mag well that adapts the 71 round Suomi 9mm drums to the AK action, which is converted to straight blowback operation. It's a hardcore build and definitely not for the faint of heart, but a number of people have pulled it off successfully. Most of them are pistols to get around the need for an SBR tax stamp, but I have seen a fair number of carbines built also. The barrel I have right now came from a Suomi so if I want to build a standard rifle i'll have to come up with some sort of barrel extension. Realistically speaking, this is one of those projects that will probably have to wait until after I acquire a lathe.

On the other hand, I don't really view it as being anything other than a toy and a neat project. If I can make it run reliably, it might have some utility as a platform for a suppressor, but if I NEED a rifle, I'll be grabbing a rifle that shoots a rifle cartridge.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
ButchS1066

Post by ButchS1066 »

CombatController wrote:Who on earth would want a 9mm AK though?
Tell me you couldn't find a use for one of these. 8-)
bizon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I was thinking more along these lines, but with different furniture. The SAW grips are great, but I have one of those hand guards and it is an unergonomic POS, and the stock doesn't do much for me either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

ButchS1066 wrote:
CombatController wrote:Who on earth would want a 9mm AK though?
Tell me you couldn't find a use for one of these. 8-)
bizon.jpg
That's a horse of a different color.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.