Does porting a revolver affect muzzle flash at night?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Whirlibird

Re: Does porting a revolver affect muzzle flash at night?

Post by Whirlibird »

YMMV.

Personally I don't get blinded by the light (flash, but couldn't resist), and I shoot a nunber of hot and flashy rounds.

My hunting .41 Mag load will throw a fireball almost 6 feet but it's an orange ball rather than a white flash.

During our recent night qualification, I used my muzzle flash to help sight the weapon and keep shooting after everyone else couldn't see the target. Flash isn't all bad.

As for porting, I'm for it if it helps you control the weapon. If it's there to be trendy, forget it.
I have a couple of LE co-workers that I'd like to get into a ported weapon, just to help their control. Between lack of practice and.... well that's it but they're scared of the recoil of their own guns. The porting would help astronomically.
Draven

Post by Draven »

mousegun wrote: I own a 3 1/16" barrel SP101 and have shot it at night to see the flash. I wanted to know how bright my bedroom would become if I have to let fly. With 125 gr. pills and a big load of W296 it is a flame thrower. With Blue Dot it is worse. With AA#9 the fireball was tolerable. Some powders flash a lot more than others. That said, if you are concerned about the 6' long X 2' wide flame you will send out, use ammo with the newer low flash powders; it makes a huge difference. Porting isn't going to make a bit of difference where perceived flash is concerned during a hostile encounter. Even in a big city at night senario, you are gonna be flash blinded. Try out different types of ammo in a not so well it range or out door shooting area just after dusk. You have to do it if you want to know what you will be dealing with.
I'd hate to see the flash out of that at night with H110 :)
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have tried ported guns, I have gotten spit on by bit of powder and shaved lead. I would be hesitant if I have to belly up and pull the trigger to have hot gasses going up into my face. I don't worry so much about the flash, as the inherent danger to an unorthodox shooting position.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Is gun, Is shoot. Is not safe.