AR 15 vs. Uzi vs. Glock with 33 round mag

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
skb12172

AR 15 vs. Uzi vs. Glock with 33 round mag

Post by skb12172 »

for home defense. A shotgun can be of only limited use against multiple assailants, such as in a home invasion, or if you are in the Irish Mob and being fooked with. An AR 15/M4 varient can be unwieldy in an older home with narrow walls. A Glock can carry a 33 round mag, but I would argue it would be easier to aim and handle a sub-gun.

If only a shotgun were of higher capacity. That's really the only thing bothering me about its utility for home defense. What say you all???
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Netpackrat

Re: AR 15 vs. Uzi vs. Glock with 33 round mag

Post by Netpackrat »

skb12172 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:44 pmIf only a shotgun were of higher capacity. That's really the only thing bothering me about its utility for home defense. What say you all???
I think your idea of a shotgun and mine are 2 different things.

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

It reminds me of Abomination!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Sadly, it has no grenade launcher, folding silver inlaid bayonet, or third pin hole.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

While I have no argument with Netpackrat's solution, I do question the statement
An AR 15/M4 variant can be unwieldy
when you are considering a shotgun as an alternative.

If you are using non-NFA weapons, then an AR has a minimum barrel length of 16", a shotgun 18", both with a minimum overall length of 26", so (leaving aside variations of ergonomics of various configurations) there is no difference in overall length and a slight advantage for a rifle as far as how much you have sticking out in front as you maneuver. (I personally detest pistol gripped shotties, and would have a full stock regardless)

You could spend the money for an SBR or SBS to mitigate this.

Or get an AR pistol.

Personally , in the house, I use a pistol as an immediate action weapon to get the shotgun. I always prefer a long gun if possible, and I live in a suburban area that has excellent response time from the cops, so I'm basically buying time (backed up by armed wife and, if she's home child on the phone to dispatch) if faced with multiple opponents for the Fire Force to arrive (been reading up on the Rhodesian brush wars lately). YMMV depending on local circumstances.

If I had the money, I've been thinking about an SBR AR in 9mm using Glock magazines as an answer for an HD long gun. I know the ergonomics, extra range and precision suitable for the environment I live in, ammo and mag interchangeability with handguns.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Get the 14" "firearm" version (the one that comes with a Shockwave grip) of the Mossberg 590M with the double stack, detachable magazines, and put a pistol grip with an arm brace on it. Shoot "low recoil" buckshot.

Alternately, you could wait since Mossy is supposed to be bringing out a semi that will take those same magazines.

D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Shotgun doesn't penetrate any better than a 9mm, even with a slug, so I don't get much benefit from going up to the size of a shotgun.

An M4 is just as handy as a "lupara" and much handier than a pump shotgun, plus I get the power of 5.56 NATO.

I don't find an M4 configuration unwieldy, but if you do, you can SBR it and use .300 BLK (pointless to put 5.56 NATO though a 10" barrel IMHO).

Reason for 5.56 NATO or .300 BLK? Because you never know if your intruder might be wearing body armor

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/c ... p_09132018

Yeah, I know. Different rules for different animals, but it's still better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Where's the "ole painless" option? :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

A) +1 for the AR pistol w. brace.
B) NPR, you are a bad person for suggesting a neat toy to look at.
C) A pistol, w. a frame mounted optic is, probably, the fastest thing to use at home distances - the first shot might be quicker w. the carbine, but that's going to relate to practice.

HOWEVER, the pistol and the AR are the only 1 handed weapons mentioned.
Precision

Post by Precision »

My choice.

300 BLO AR pistol with a 9" barrel and a Gear Head Works mod 1 pistol brace. With a can on it, I am still shorter than an AR Carbine. With the Silencerco Omega it is about 17" but the fixed length pistol buffer is shorter so OAL is less. I could also run without the can, but I like my hearing. If desired, I can run it one handed very well and accurately. Likely won't but it is an option. My great downfall is if the bad guys are armored as the 190 gr Maker Bullets I have loaded expand like crazy. I forget right now, but I think in gel they regularly get to .85" at subsonic speeds. I also have a KSG sitting next to it on the gear tree. She is loaded with the Aguilla minis. One tube of #4 buck the other with slugs. IIRC that is 12 buck and 11 slugs.

I have 29 rounds (I down load the mags) of 300BLO or 23 rounds of shot / slug shells. In case of home invasion, I run the Keltec and the GF runs the AR pistol.

I also have an 8" AR pistol in 9mm with a Gear Head Works mod 2 pistol brace (telescoping one). But I don't have a can for it, so it no longer has home defense duties. It lives in the Truck as TN has a stupid law that rifles may not be chambered in a vehicle. This is a pistol, so bite me and 33 rounders are on board.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/