You call this prepared?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
D5CAV

You call this prepared?

Post by D5CAV »

For all the haters of "International Man": Yes he is promoting his over-priced services and his over-priced "retreat locations". However, he went to West Point, so he has some understanding of land warfare.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-3 ... g-prepared

Some good points that a lot of my "prepper" friends seem to overlook, particularly, those who have their well-stocked "bug-out" locations in the mountains. Yeah, good luck defending that from "Humungus" and his gang.

Rule 1 of the US Army rules of gunfighting:
1. Bring a gun, bring all your friends who have guns, and bring all their friends who have guns.

Of course, his "solution" is to have a "bug out" location in some South American or Southeast Asian retreat location. Yeah, good luck with that, unless you happen to be a first generation immigrant to the US with close relatives still in Chile or Thailand.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Frankingun

Re: You call this prepared?

Post by Frankingun »

Do these ultra rich people realize that if we ever have a true Walking Dead type event that the time window to leave your house much less the country will be short to nonexistent?
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

In SHTF situation, I would much rather be in a high social capital location (specifically the US) than in a low social capital location (say Central America, most of South America, most Asian countries excluding Japan and some of the westernized tiger countries).

If I had the money for a bug out location, it would be Switzerland. If SHITF - GTFO of low cohesion countries, that is where the S will HTF the worst. If you are in one of those places, everything fall down to the family/clan/tribe/social units of lowest common denominator. As an outsider you would be screwed.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote:In SHTF situation, I would much rather be in a high social capital location (specifically the US) than in a low social capital location (say Central America, most of South America, most Asian countries excluding Japan and some of the westernized tiger countries).

If I had the money for a bug out location, it would be Switzerland. If SHITF - GTFO of low cohesion countries, that is where the S will HTF the worst. If you are in one of those places, everything fall down to the family/clan/tribe/social units of lowest common denominator. As an outsider you would be screwed.
Well, yes.

You also want to GTFO of low cohesion areas of otherwise high social capital countries. Like dense urban areas in general, hoods in particular. Or even just any areas with relatively transient populations.

That's completely aside from avoiding densely populated areas for purely logistical (too many poorly prepared hungry mouths, too little food/fuel/medicine) reasons.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

They've violated rule #1.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Jered wrote:They've violated rule #1.
Whenever some scary news story comes out, like Nork nukes or ROP adherents run amok, I get my non-shooting friends nervously telling me "If it gets really bad, I'm coming to your place". I smile and say "Of course you are welcome! If you get here early you get an AR, if I've run out of ARs, you'll be on the perimeter with one of my K98s."
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Termite

Post by Termite »

Frankingun wrote:Do these ultra rich people realize that if we ever have a true Walking Dead type event that the time window to leave your house much less the country will be short to nonexistent?
Los Angeles to Santiago is 5500 miles. New York to Santiago is 5000 miles. A G5 can do that without stopping for fuel.

The trick is being ready to leave within mere hours of TEOTWAWKI.....
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

D5CAV wrote:
Whenever some scary news story comes out, like Nork nukes or ROP adherents run amok, I get my non-shooting friends nervously telling me "If it gets really bad, I'm coming to your place". I smile and say "Of course you are welcome! If you get here early you get an AR, if I've run out of ARs, you'll be on the perimeter with one of my K98s."
I just tell 'em I probably won't be home; I'll be at THEIR place taking what I need because THEY are unarmed, unprepared, etc. Hilarious backpedaling and confusion ensues on their parts...had this conversation 3 times in the last few years; two wanted to know more about preparedness and one's wife was so offended we've not seen them socially since. "Hasta la vista, Baby...." One of the links I've given is (He Who Shall Not Be Named Here but is a "Raconteur")....
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
evan price

Post by evan price »

D5CAV wrote:
I get that too and my usual answer is, you better be bringing something of value to justify having you in the lifeboat. I got no time or supplies to take care of someone who doesn't bother to make minimal preps and shows up empty handed to demand of me take care of them.

My neighbors and i have a mutual-aid gentleman's agreement.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

You know, I thought we'd got past the whole "First thing you need is an eight-figure net worth" school of survivalism (in reference to the original link, not to any comments here). :|
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!