Yachts and guns

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
BDK

Re: Yachts and guns

Post by BDK »

I forgot to mention a cruise ship is also a rather fast vessel, and very large of it decides to run over a smaller one
Jered

Post by Jered »

BDK wrote:I forgot to mention a cruise ship is also a rather fast vessel, and very large of it decides to run over a smaller one
How many carronades can you put on a cruise ship?

:mrgreen:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Quote from the Old Man (a Vietnam era A-6 driver)
Yes, you gun crew guys are supposed to call gun control to ask permission to fire on a target. If you do you aren't getting an answer because I'll be busy running that sonofabitch over with 42,000 tons doing 30 mph
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I can't find the source, now, because I'm at work and supposed to be working.

When you, as John Q. Citizen of the USA, sail into a foreign harbor, you are under their jurisdiction, and they (and you) will do whatever their regulations say to do when someone sails into their port. If you have a firearm, their laws control. You may have to deposit it with the Harbormaster, a la Dodge City in the days of the cattle drives, or they may require that you keep it aboard your ship locked in a dedicated compartment/drawer/closet, maybe with one of their locks. They won't be particularly happy, even if you are otherwise peaceful looking and non threatening. This will go double if it's a scary looking firearm with a happy switch. Shotguns are less threatening, but they still won't want them loose in their port with potentially boisterous sailors potentially getting drunk and potentially cutting loose and potentially celebrating with stuff that goes bang.

As a tangentially relevant piece of trivia, on Anacapa Island, one of Southern California's Channel Islands, there is a lighthouse, the keeper's house, and a water tank. The story is that the tank is built inside a building that looks like a church, with church window-like cutouts on the side, because in the first half of the 20th century, yachtsmen would sail past, and with the rifles they kept for shooting the sharks that would eat their game fish before they could get them on board, shoot the water tank. Supposedly making it look like a church was an effective subterfuge.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Steamforger wrote:Quote from the Old Man (a Vietnam era A-6 driver)
Yes, you gun crew guys are supposed to call gun control to ask permission to fire on a target. If you do you aren't getting an answer because I'll be busy running that sonofabitch over with 42,000 tons doing 30 mph
And I would be totally okay with that! What does that work out to, in ft-lbs of energy?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

126628000 give or take a few if I got my conversions right.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Steamforger wrote:126628000 give or take a few if I got my conversions right.
Damn! That should be enough for anything short of a 688-class sub!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

D5CAV wrote:I'm not much of a boat person. I have friends who have yachts,
Having friends with boats is generally superior to having one of your own, anyway.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Netpackrat wrote:
D5CAV wrote:I'm not much of a boat person. I have friends who have yachts,
Having friends with boats is generally superior to having one of your own, anyway.
Yup. The two happiest days of a man's life, when he buys his boat, and when he sells his boat. A boat being a.hole in the water you dump money into.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

MarkD wrote:Yup. The two happiest days of a man's life, when he buys his boat, and when he sells his boat. A boat being a.hole in the water you dump money into.
Beat me to it. :) I do love to sail, though.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!