Question: How much ammo is "enough?"

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Jered

Re: Question: How much ammo is "enough?"

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote:.338 Win Mag is just about the best all-around anti-bear cartridge ever created.
They work against grizzly, right?

I need something for when the F&W retards bring grizzly back to the North Cascades.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

two bandoliers plus full mag pouches for current NATO cal. Too old to carry more with the other bugout gear. Pray for capture/resupply as req.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:.338 Win Mag is just about the best all-around anti-bear cartridge ever created.
They work against grizzly, right?

I need something for when the F&W retards bring grizzly back to the North Cascades.
There was a USFS report years ago about how they tested a bunch of different calibers, and IIRC the .338 came out on top. Not sure what their methodology was, but it has mass, velocity, and diameter all in its favor, and sufficient range for actual hunting. Up here we like our big bore lever guns, but they are mainly a defensive arm... They are great close up, but lack range.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote: There was a USFS report years ago about how they tested a bunch of different calibers, and IIRC the .338 came out on top. Not sure what their methodology was, but it has mass, velocity, and diameter all in its favor, and sufficient range for actual hunting. Up here we like our big bore lever guns, but they are mainly a defensive arm... They are great close up, but lack range.
What kind do you have so that I can add it to my list?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I'm speaking from inexperience because I've never hunted a bear of any flavor.

If I ever get the opportunity for an Alaskan bear hunt, will the bear be any less dead if I whack it with my .375 H&H than with a .338 Win Mag?

I guess I could bring my .416 Rigby for extra good measure.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:What kind do you have so that I can add it to my list?
I don't have any interest in hunting bear, so I am mainly concerned with up close where they are concerned. I have a .450 Marlin lever gun and some shotguns that can be used for that purpose. My main hunting guns are a 7mm-08 and a 7mm Weatherby Mag.... I've got an old .30-06 that's eventually going to become a .35 Whelen for my all around hunting rifle. But I haven't seriously hunted anything bigger than grouse in years.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

More than I have now.
:D
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

At last count I had over 12K of .22LR on hand. If the local Academy has CCI standard or mini-mag available I buy the limit of 500 rounds.
Guestimates on
.308ACP: 500 rounds.
30 carbine: 750 rounds of and I plan to buy more.
7.5 Swiss (my one "odd ball round"): 500
30.06: 2K rounds and I plan to buy more.
Guncrazy

Post by Guncrazy »

2016-05-20 22.15.29.jpg
Haven't counted, but it's .22LR on the top shelf, .45 on the second, 5.56 on the third, 10mm, .357, and 9mm on the fourth, and the bottom has .45, .308, .22LR, 12-gauge, and 7.62x39.

Is it enough?

Well, you can never have enough .22LR.
I think I should start rebuilding the 9mm and .45 reserves again.
5.56, I'd say is about par, for me.
.357 and 10mm...I need a lot more of each. The .357 I've got supplies enough to load a couple thousand. The 10mm, I don't even have the dies.
.308, I'm going to need more...I'd like to build an AR for it.
And 7.62, again, not nearly enough. Plus, I need a bunch of stripper clips for the SKS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

You have the beginnings of a respectable ammo fort there.

Here, the local wally worlds (4 of them) have not had .22LR in stock when I'm there since 2012. The staff tells me they only get 3-4 boxes a week and someone it always waiting early when they open to buy it. I still think its the local gunshops who've had it in stock but at unacceptable prices.

I need more 10mm too, but I do have reloading dies and components for it. Not enough spare brass or bullets, but a start. I'm still hanging on to some South African 7.62x51 from the cheap days (I should have sold them at market peak; a friend missed the very peak but still made a chunk of change selling his SA ammo at a gun show). I don't have anything that uses it but maybe someday...