Question: How much ammo is "enough?"

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
pediem

Re: Question: How much ammo is "enough?"

Post by pediem »

I'm in the middle of an extended move (house to apartment to new house) so I know exactly how much of everything I've got (except for a few little one-off single boxes of a couple of oddball calibers).

The advice to "buy a little everytime you're in the store" is good. It sure does add up. Shockingly so. It took 3 trips in my parents' minivan, loaded to the point that my dad and I could hear the shocks crying for mercy, to get it all moved. And we get to do it again in 6 months to get it in the new house.

The caliber that I have the most of is .22LR, and that sits at upwards of 25k rounds. I'm still not quite sure how I got that much, except that I loved buying the CCI green boxes (Mini-Mags or Stingers) that could be found for $99 on sale. Oh, and case lots of bricks to split with the bf.
JAG2955

Re: Question: How much ammo is "enough?"

Post by JAG2955 »

Here I thought that I was doing pretty well, since I have about 6k of .22lr. Back before Newtown, I would pick up a brick of 500/325 whenever I went to WalMart. Stashed it in a long, low Mk-19 can. That can is still full, and I think that there's about 6k rounds in there. I don't shoot a whole lot of .22lr right now.

I've been using up my 5.56 for practice, so I need to buy more. I've got about 2,200 right now, and have over 1k bullets to load, along with my 5 gallon bucket of brass.

I do still have an unopened South African battlepack of 7.62, along with a partial case of Privi.

Pistol ammo right now is low. Probably a few hundred rounds each for 9mm, .40, and .45ACP.

Sigh, if I can afford a .308 auto-loader, feeding it is going to be expensive.