Good Guy With Gun Stories

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
skb12172

Re: Good Guy With Gun Stories

Post by skb12172 »

That's the point I made, likening it to going back in time and killing Hitler in 1936. How would you give due credit for a potential that never happened? He conceded the point and would consider it a potential mass shooting if a rogue gunman like that was stopped before anyone was killed.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

skb12172 wrote:That's the point I made, likening it to going back in time and killing Hitler in 1936. How would you give due credit for a potential that never happened? He conceded the point and would consider it a potential mass shooting if a rogue gunman like that was stopped before anyone was killed.
Be careful approaching him with that.

If a "rogue gunman" was stopped before anyone was killed, then isn't the one who stopped him a murderer? He just killed a guy who had done nothing wrong. If the "rogue gunman" had started shooting but not yet hitting anyone, then maybe.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
skb12172 wrote:That's the point I made, likening it to going back in time and killing Hitler in 1936. How would you give due credit for a potential that never happened? He conceded the point and would consider it a potential mass shooting if a rogue gunman like that was stopped before anyone was killed.

If a "rogue gunman" was stopped before anyone was killed, then isn't the one who stopped him a murderer? He just killed a guy who had done nothing wrong. If the "rogue gunman" had started shooting but not yet hitting anyone, then maybe.
Er, what? 'Hasn't killed anyone yet' != 'done nothing wrong'.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:
Weetabix wrote:

Er, what? 'Hasn't killed anyone yet' != 'done nothing wrong'.
Not saying that's how I feel. I'm saying that's what skb's antagonist might come back with.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

And another link for skb's growing file:

Do civilians with guns ever stop mass shootings?
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm thinking a long list in inverse chronological order with factual comments and a link to a credible news source might be a great independent post that we could link people to in this continuing argument. We'd need to keep the comments level headed to maintain credibility.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Weetabix wrote:

You don't necessarily have to shoot someone to stop them. If they haven't started shooting yet, a gun of one's own and "dude, wtf are you doing?" might be enough.
Jered

Post by Jered »

How major does the event have to be?

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/man-sho ... ary/nTjfH/
TACOMA, Wash. — A man who was shot in the face as he entered a home was charged with burglary Monday.
And, the prosecutor's quote here was made of win:
“The defendant was caught in the act and lawfully shot,” said Lindquist. “Now, he’s going to be held accountable for the burglary. This case is another reminder that breaking into people’s homes can land you in the hospital or prison, if you aren’t killed.”
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.