a(nother) scary thought on Ebola

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
George guy

Re: a(nother) scary thought on Ebola

Post by George guy »

For all we know, the big pandemic will end up being super-herpes.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
BDK

Post by BDK »

Studying Ebola is a bitch, guys.

It's not that they weren't researching it - there's been a vaccine project for awhile - but it's damn hard to work on.

It's the cost of the lab to work on it that's the incredible cost in researching it - all of which is investment that will never be recovered.

And, having worked with much less dangerous, chemicals, working in a "you spill it, you die," environment is very draining - most people cannot work 8 hours with that level of attention.

(And I, technically, had a brief period to get it off my gloves if it got on me, and it wasn't actively trying to get out and kill anyone. It was just a very hazardous catalyst.)
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I hear ya, BDK, I just keep weighing alternatives on my hands:

"Death of 90% of humanity in a biblical pandemic"..."tough day in the lab"
"Death of 90% of humanity in a biblical pandemic"..."tough day in the lab"

:D
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Aesop wrote:
Professor Dilettante, my research grant to study the propagation of Ebola in megachiropterids was cancelled! What's the meaning of this??

Dash it all Courtney, there's no bloody MONEY in that for the university! It's just some nasty tropical problem for a bunch of wogs eating bush-meat, for pity's sake. We can't go studying everything just because some chap has a yearning for an African safari during his sabbatical! And anyways, the money was re-allocated to the Physiology Department's erectile dysfunction study. Barrels of money for that, wot?
If this was Facebook, I would "like" this several dozen times.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

If I could just get John Cleese and Michael Palin, or Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, to do the sketch and YouTube it, I'd die a happy man.
Even if it was from Ebola.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
George guy

Post by George guy »

Aesop wrote:If I could just get John Cleese and Michael Palin, or Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, to do the sketch and YouTube it, I'd die a happy man.
Even if it was from Ebola.
This almost fits.
Mitchell and Webb: Garnier Laboratoire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOYCkHFMnVc
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'