Preppers - supplying Humungus since 1981

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
JustinR

Re: Preppers - supplying Humungus since 1981

Post by JustinR »

A book I read about the collapse in Argentina several years ago stated that "we buy gold" shops sprung up on every street corner. The most common currency was a gold chain link bracelet, where a link or two could be sold to one of these street buyers for enough devalued currency to buy groceries.

But generally, I agree that precious metals are worthless in an emergency or survival situation. I would much rather have invested in items for self sufficiency, foodstuffs, or things I can't make myself instead of coins or bars in a safe.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

As currency, gold's value depends just as much as paper money on whether someone can use it to buy things later.

If the US dollar collapses, as I understand it, we take the rest of the world down with us, or at least, at least the parts of the world that matter. That boat had better be going somewhere fairly isolated.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Yogimus wrote:Toilet paper, cigarettes, batteries, bottlecaps, and coffee will be the hot commodities.
Tobacco would be a short term high value, as you can grow it in much of the US.

Coffee, on the other hand..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
Yogimus wrote:Toilet paper, cigarettes, batteries, bottlecaps, and coffee will be the hot commodities.
Tobacco would be a short term high value, as you can grow it in much of the US.

Coffee, on the other hand..
You want green beans for long term storage, then roast what you need. Very ugly when that runs out.....
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
BDK

Post by BDK »

Depends on how bad you expect things to be - coffee is light, and readily available in MX - not great stuff, but not too hard to bring up a trade route. Not sure how TP is made - boxes* tend to be made regionally, mainly to minimize shipping costs - not sure if TP is the same way.

*At least the ones I buy - some companies tried to change that, but those same companies also later spun off the packaging lines that I'm familiar with.
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

I've been buying small airline (50ML) glass bottles of Knob Creek every month. I don't want to trade an entire bottle of something for a small item, so this fits the bill.

Now y'all have me looking up how long cigarettes and coffee store for.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix