LSP to begin Online Application Process for CHP/CCW Permits

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
308Mike

LSP to begin Online Application Process for CHP/CCW Permits

Post by 308Mike »

Linkarooni - GOOD ON YA' Louisiana!!!
LSP to begin Online Application Process for Concealed Handgun Permits
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 4:36 PM EDT Updated: Friday, June 20, 2014 4:36 PM EDT

BATON ROUGE, La. (KALB News Channel 5) -- The Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Permit Unit is responsible for issuing and managing concealed handgun permits statewide and processed over 26,000 applications in 2013.

In an effort to expedite and improve the application process, citizens can now utilize the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit website to submit an online application. The online application creates a more efficient process and when properly utilized applicants can expect to receive their permits quicker than when submitting the traditional paper application packets.

As part of the online application, applicants must have a valid email account to receive a unique application number to be used throughout the process and are not required to submit payment for the permit until the application has been reviewed for eligibility and completeness. Once accepted, applicants will receive the payment instructions through an official email allowing them to submit payment online.

In addition, both online and paper applications will now utilize the applicant’s Louisiana driver’s license or identification card photo- no longer requiring the attachment of passport photos with the application packet. As previously required, first time concealed handgun permit applicants must submit fingerprints during the application process. Citizens are strongly encouraged to submit the fingerprints electronically at the Louisiana State Police Headquarters facility in Baton Rouge to greatly expedite the processing time. Fingerprints submitted on paper cards may take up to 21 days to process along with the application packet.

Paper documents such as the training certificate may be submitted by scanning and attaching to the online application. Applicants choosing to mail paper documents are instructed to print a cover letter and include that letter when submitting documents to the unit.

Citizens can now utilize the online application at the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit website found at http://chp-web.dps.louisiana.gov/.

For more information on the application process, laws governing concealed handgun permits, and other frequently asked questions please visit
http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html and/or contact the LSP Concealed Handgun Permit Unit utilizing the information below:

Louisiana State Police
Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
PO Box 66375
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70896
(225) 925-4867
(225) 925-4868
(225) 922-0225 Fax
Email: concealed.handguns@dps.la.gov
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
PawPaw

Re: LSP to begin Online Application Process for CHP/CCW Perm

Post by PawPaw »

I truly believe that we are among the most gun-friendly states in the Union.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Arizona is running so far behind on permits that they can't even verify that they received my renewal or not. I sent it on the 15th of last month.

The best part of this is that you will know for certain that your application actually arrived.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

NVGdude wrote:Arizona is running so far behind on permits that they can't even verify that they received my renewal or not. I sent it on the 15th of last month.

The best part of this is that you will know for certain that your application actually arrived.
Actually, THE BEST PART of AZ is that you DO NOT NEED a permit AT ALL, being Constitutional Carry and all!! Otherwise, I might agree with PawPaw that LA is one of the most gun-friendly states in the Union for those who REQUIRE permits to do something the Constitution allows/permits. If and when LA goes Constitutional Carry, THEN I'd probably agree with him. But as long as they still REQUIRE permits to carry within the state, they aren't as gun-friendly as those with RKBA Carry (and hopefully they will change that within the next few years).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

308Mike wrote:Actually, THE BEST PART of AZ is that you DO NOT NEED a permit AT ALL, being Constitutional Carry and all!! Otherwise, I might agree with PawPaw that LA is one of the most gun-friendly states in the Union for those who REQUIRE permits to do something the Constitution allows/permits. If and when LA goes Constitutional Carry, THEN I'd probably agree with him. But as long as they still REQUIRE permits to carry within the state, they aren't as gun-friendly as those with RKBA Carry (and hopefully they will change that within the next few years).
You don't need a permit to carry in Louisiana. Louisiana is an open carry state, and has been all my life. You don't need a permit to carry in your car, or in your home, or down the main street of town, as long as the firearm isn't concealed.

Our concealed carry laws stem from the ancient association in the law between concealed carry and nefarious purposes. The law believes that free citizens carry their weapons openly, and the only people who need to carry concealed are ne'er-do-wells and scalawags. Louisiana bowed to the concealed carry movement in 1979 and allowed permitting of citizens who wanted to carry concealed weapons. However, many people don't intend to conceal so see no reason for acquiring a permit. In my immediate family, we have folks who follow one or the other of the schools of thought and sometimes around my kitchen table, I'm fairly certain that there are as many as six handguns among the adults present at the table.

You don't need a permit to carry a gun in the state of Louisiana. You need a permit if you intend to conceal it.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Termite

Post by Termite »

PawPaw wrote:You don't need a permit to carry a gun in the state of Louisiana. You need a permit if you intend to conceal it.
IIRC, it's a misdemeanor to CCW in public, not a felony. And I believe that you can CCW on your own property without a permit.
We can now CCW in church/synogog/etc as long as the priest/pastor/rabbi and elders/deacons OK it.

Schools, courthouses, etc are different.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

The only possible way to improve on that would be a drive-thru line. Congrats to LA.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

308Mike wrote:
NVGdude wrote:Arizona is running so far behind on permits that they can't even verify that they received my renewal or not. I sent it on the 15th of last month.

Actually, THE BEST PART of AZ is that you DO NOT NEED a permit AT ALL, being Constitutional Carry and all!!
Honestly I only want it because of reciprocity. Ours is good in something like 32 states. Plus you can avoid the NICS check which can be a major convenience sometimes.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

There's some differences in AZ for CCW with a permit vs without -- related to CCW in vehicles and whether it's legal in some areas. e.g. City center park in Flagstaff is posted CCW only by permit holders.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

blackeagle603 wrote:There's some differences in AZ for CCW with a permit vs without -- related to CCW in vehicles and whether it's legal in some areas. e.g. City center park in Flagstaff is posted CCW only by permit holders.
Actually, no difference in vehicles. City center park is posted in violation of the law. This was under the old law which changed two years ago. Cities are now preempted from posting parks.

Main difference is that with a CCW you can legally carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol unless posted.