LSP to begin Online Application Process for CHP/CCW Permits

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
blackeagle603

Re: LSP to begin Online Application Process for CHP/CCW Perm

Post by blackeagle603 »

May have been an error by a CCW newbie friend in AZ... recollect him explaining there was a different standard for carrying loaded handgun in vehicle without a permit. Something like it needed to be either visible or locked up if you don't have a permit.

Trying to read up on it now.. not finding much right away about vehicles specifically.

How about non permitted carrying in AZ within 1000' of schools? Does Fed law apply inspite of the State Constitutional Carry)?

/off to google some more/

edit to add: Arizona CCW Wiki

...and mind whether you're on tribal land.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

blackeagle603 wrote: How about non permitted carrying in AZ within 1000' of schools? Does Fed law apply inspite of the State Constitutional Carry)?
Not wanting to become a test case is one reason why I have maintained my permit. It's impossible to go anywhere without breaking that unconstitutional law, otherwise.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Termite wrote:
PawPaw wrote:You don't need a permit to carry a gun in the state of Louisiana. You need a permit if you intend to conceal it.
IIRC, it's a misdemeanor to CCW in public, not a felony.
For a first offense. 3 days & a $500 fine. Second conviction of carrying concealed without a permit is a felony. And while open carry is technically legal, you really don't want to try it in Orleans parish, or most other cities. You'll most likely beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. And if it's NOPD or JPSO that's involved, that word "beat" probably isn't going to be metaphorical...
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
martini

Post by martini »

First, I'm impressed we do this now, so geaux us. Second, what Cyber said. Don't annoy nopd.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

blackeagle603 wrote:May have been an error by a CCW newbie friend in AZ... recollect him explaining there was a different standard for carrying loaded handgun in vehicle without a permit. Something like it needed to be either visible or locked up if you don't have a permit.

Trying to read up on it now.. not finding much right away about vehicles specifically.

How about non permitted carrying in AZ within 1000' of schools? Does Fed law apply inspite of the State Constitutional Carry)?

/off to google some more/

edit to add: Arizona CCW Wiki

...and mind whether you're on tribal land.
Prior to constitutional carry a loaded firearm had to be either: in a belt holster, glove box, console, map pocket, or in a holster that was somewhere visible. With constitutional carry you can have a loaded firearm anywhere, unless you are under 21 in which case the old rules still apply.

So far there is no case law on the unconstitutional 1000' federal statute.

And of course tribal land is visiting a foreign country, so don't do anything to attract attention.
Rod

Post by Rod »

My biggest gripe with Arizona, unless they've changed it, is the way they handle carry where liquor is sold. The restaurant HAS to post a sign forbidding concealed carry BUT, it's posted next to the liquor license. That means you're breaking the law the minute you walk through the door. I've literally had to ask waitstaff where the liquor license was so I could check.

I can say that I'm happy that Texas finally changed the brandishing laws so accidental reveal of your carry is not longer a crime. Now if the open carry jackasses would stop so intelligent people could get open carry through the legislature, I'd be even happier.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Rod wrote:My biggest gripe with Arizona, unless they've changed it, is the way they handle carry where liquor is sold. The restaurant HAS to post a sign forbidding concealed carry BUT, it's posted next to the liquor license. That means you're breaking the law the minute you walk through the door. I've literally had to ask waitstaff where the liquor license was so I could check.
You can thank the NRA. The law made sense until the NRA "helped".

This is the only place in AZ law where a posting has any legal implication. Anywhere else that is posted does not carry the force of law.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

NVGdude wrote:So far there is no case law on the unconstitutional 1000' federal statute.
They aren't going to rule that it doesn't apply just because AZ changed their carry law.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop