Choosing sides

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
skb12172

Re: Choosing sides

Post by skb12172 »

Like there was truly any doubt?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

CByrneIV wrote:Outside the northeast, west coast and urban islands you're looking at less than 25% at worst and 0% at best.
This is from American Fork, UT. I fear you may be optimistic.

http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/20 ... aying.html

At least they didn't shoot him, which they probably would have done in "the northeast, west coast and urban islands"
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MelodyByrne

Post by MelodyByrne »

While y'all are discussing the difference between LEOs and commanders who are power-hungry state actors and those who follow their oath to the Constitution, you're missing an entire segment of the LEO population. The panderers.

I personally dislike Sheriff Joe Arpaio intensely. Hell, in ID one of my criteria for re-electing the county sheriff was the fact that I barely knew the guy's name since he wasn't on the news every time I turned on the TV. Arpaio has never met a PR opportunity he didn't like or a news camera he didn't want to pose for.

In short, Arpaio is a politician.

That being said, the only reason he gets to stay a politician is because he panders to his base. If the fedgov decides to come after firearms he'll make a stand against them like on everything else. Not because he's at all principled, but simply because he knows that'll get him on the news, get some good sound bites, and make his base happy.

How many other sheriff's in this country would be willing to 1. not risk the necks of their deputies and 2. make a stand that would cinch their re-election (in many electorates anyway)? It's pretty simple actually... make a principled stand for the Constitution while not taking any real risks to anyone's hide AND make the base happy.

Now... how many sheriffs deal with "uncooperative" DA's who are just chomping at the bit for the fallout to begin so they can make their own little principled stand over "unnecessary loss of life of deputies" and crimes against law-abiding citizens?

Can you imagine how long the lawsuits would run for? How many sheriffs would lose their seat next election, if not recalled?

There's motivations other than control and honor at work here.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I believe the confiscation route will be difficult for many officers. My FB is loaded with LA LEOS cheering Georgia's new law. What I do believe is that when confronted with a situation like in the Ukraine last month with the BMP, a minimum of 90% would have opened fire into the crowd in that particular situation, especially if they know the guys in the vehicle.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Would or wouldn't have opened fire?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Would.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Steamforger wrote:Would.
I'm sorry, but maybe I'm stupid or something, but the statement: "What I do believe is that when confronted with a situation like in the Ukraine last month with the BMP, a minimum of 90% would have opened fire into the crowd in that particular situation, especially if they know the guys in the vehicle." - seems a little contradictory.

Did I miss something, or am I just not getting it? Perhaps I didn't point out the difference between the guys in the BMP and/or the folks outside, ESPECIALLY if they knew them. Or did you mean they did NOT/DIDN'T know them (the guys in the vehicle).

I apologize, I'm still a little confused by your statement. Did you mean they DID NOT know the guys in the vehicle (the BMP)?? Otherwise, I'm still trying to figure it out (yes, I've been accused of being dense before).

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Sorry for ambiguity. I don't think you're stupid, but sometimes shit is clear to me when I write it and difficult for others to get into my head. What my statement was intending was "that if law enforcement officers in the US were near an armored vehicle operated by their co-workers, being bombed to shit by molotovs, the majority, I believe, would open fire with the idea of attempting to prevent grievous bodily harm or death and attempt some level of officer safety." I do not think it would be random, but I do think that once the first bottles are flying, anybody seen holding one is in for a rough day.

I'm genuinely amazed the Ukrainian's didn't.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Steamforger wrote:I do not think it would be random, but I do think that once the first bottles are flying, anybody seen holding one is in for a rough day.

I'm genuinely amazed the Ukrainian's didn't.
THAT, I can completely agree on!! Anyone covering the APC firing back would do so ONLY to protect themselves and their comrades, and NOT as punishment measure on the crowd or groups of citizens.