Gunshot wounds I have tended

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
workinwifdakids

Re: Gunshot wounds I have tended

Post by workinwifdakids »

A) As a practitioner, could you tell us when you would see a gunshot wound and say, "Wow, I'm glad the first responder used a tampon instead of pressure?"

B) Is the application of a tampon into the wound "Shove it in there as far as you want?" Yes, go ahead boys, I'm waiting. Serious question though.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
toad

Post by toad »

I've been looking at complete "trauma" kits for the gun range (trips to which seem to getting farther and farther into my future) and even the expensive ones have too much drug store crap in them. I've looked at what goes into military kits but they have stuff in them that requires more training than I have or am likely to have. They've got a lot of new stuff since I've had even basic first aid and, I'm wondering what should be in a range kit for someone with a Boy Scout knowledge of first aid. I'm thinking blood clotting agent, pressure bandage, something for a sucking chest wound. The scary thing is what to get for the ABC aspect. You don't have much time when someone isn't breathing but I don't want to kill a guy by using jaming something though his nose or punching into his trachea. Any suggestions?
doc Russia

Post by doc Russia »

toad wrote:I've been looking at complete "trauma" kits for the gun range (trips to which seem to getting farther and farther into my future) and even the expensive ones have too much drug store crap in them. I've looked at what goes into military kits but they have stuff in them that requires more training than I have or am likely to have. They've got a lot of new stuff since I've had even basic first aid and, I'm wondering what should be in a range kit for someone with a Boy Scout knowledge of first aid. I'm thinking blood clotting agent, pressure bandage, something for a sucking chest wound. The scary thing is what to get for the ABC aspect. You don't have much time when someone isn't breathing but I don't want to kill a guy by using jaming something though his nose or punching into his trachea. Any suggestions?
I put together an "executive FAK" (FAK being First Aid Kit) for chinook medical. It is a SWAT-T, Halo chest seal, Z-fold combat gauze, Nasopharyngeal airway, gloves, tweezers, band-aids, ASpirin, ibuprofen and maybe one or two other things.
If you want to put one otgether yourself, get a tourniquet, Also get a SWAT-T, Hemostatic gauze, nasopharyngeal airway. That's the minimum. Anything else is as you see fit/ can get.
"That which does not transmit light creates its own darkness"
-Marcus Aurelius
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
-Captain Mal Reynolds, Firefly
toad

Post by toad »

Thanks.
toad

Post by toad »

As something of a side note: I finally woke up enough to start looking on the 'Net and and youtube for how to's on nasalpharyngeal airways. There were some nice technical write ups using the multi-size kits and how to measure for fit and some youtube videos using a practice dummy. However what leaves an inmpression is the military videos done with personal cameras of military guys using live and conscious uhm volunteers. Nothing like finding out who your buddy is and comments on gag reflexes. "The small in goes first....and in his nostril." "Here lick this thing I don't want to use up my lube."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2sXsOLzCs