Defensive Tactics Against Mobs

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
henrybowman

Re: Defensive Tactics Against Mobs

Post by henrybowman »

Termite wrote:
Aesop wrote:Any decent US military manual circa 1955-1975 on improvidsed explosives, esp. SF materials on same, is pretty crystal clear on how to go about making flour bombs ("dust initiated explosive devices"). Or so I hear. :twisted:
50%/50% mixture of FFFg and magnesium flash powder, SCH 80 plastic piping, model rocket igniter, 9volt battery, thumbtacks, wooden clothes-pins, 22ga wire, and 50# black Spyderwire fishing string.....

Some assembly required. 8-)
I hate to ask, but how awesome is it?
henrybowman

Post by henrybowman »

CByrneIV wrote:
henrybowman wrote:
Yogimus wrote: Mobs won't go for vengeance. They avoid hazards like fish in schools.
This is very true, noting but group think..

Sometimes they do go for vengeance... but a few object lessons tends to break their enthusiasm, and make them think better of their choices; generally remembering they had someplace else to be just then.
Yeah some how seeing a moron holding a Molotov cocktail that has been shot by a unknown gun owner who is now a flaming moron running into the riot now causing about 10,000 to haul ass..I mean that will make a person come up with a list of reason not to stick around.
henrybowman

Post by henrybowman »

Yogimus wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:Assuming that the entire mob acts as one and doesn't find a staircase in their mass retreat.
Mobs won't go for vengeance. They avoid hazards like fish in schools.
With Ferguson about to blow and new ideas?
Rusty Ray

Post by Rusty Ray »

As a quick lesson re: Crowds are cowards, crowds don't look for revenge etc etc I'll leave this here for those interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milltown_Cemetery_attack

Further:

These were interesting times for a young lad. You never really knew what was right, wrong, up or down. In the aftermath of this 'party' two plain clothes, but armed, soldiers were killed by a crowd. I watched it happen via a helicam, and was happy when I though that 'they' were killing ach other. Fuck 'em. But when I found out that the victimes were ours, I felt sick and ashamed. So despite being armed, in a car and 'in the right', they ended up stripped, beaten, tortured and shot with their own BHPs. Actually, the soldiers were amazingly controlled in their defence, only firing over the heads of the crowd. But before they knew it, they were mobbed.

First leave at home after that, Mum made me promise that if it ever looked like the same was gonna hapen to me, that I was to take as many of the bastards with me as I could. I freely admit that crowds now scare me shitless, so I would keep my promise to her, so help me God.

Further:

My time in the Province was a marked 'green' event. I mostly spent my time in bushes, woods and hard targetting around urban areas. I didn't once personally see a crowd. My brother, on the other hand, was there about 5 years after me. The job was different then, and he didn't do much green work, but spent his fair share of time on a shield wall. He shot some twat with a plastic bullet. The lad was about to throw a petrol bomb, and my brother had a lucky hit- The lad took the dildo straight on the chin, he went down like a sack of shit, and the molotov/caustic acid bomb/whatever luckily didn't break, just rolled into the gutter. My brother tells me that for a short second, the crowd stopped, and there was a stunned silence. Then it was business as usual. A group carried the unconcious lad into an alley.

So AFAIAC crowds that are used and inured to gas, plastic bullets, real bullets etc etc should onyl be tackled when you are yourself mob handed. If you don't have a mob too, don't be there. If you get caught, don't fuck about with gimicks. Don't challenge, kill the biggest one at the front of the crowd, then bug out.

Cheers- Rusty
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

"Kill or Be Killed" by LTC Rex Applegate. He addresses actions against "Communist inspired mobs".

Oldie, but goodie: https://archive.org/details/milmanual-f ... get-killed

LTC Rex Applegate, who trained with W.E. Fairbairn, E.A. Sykes, and Bill Jordan updates his classic 1943 edition to the 1960s. Reprinted in 1976.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Termite

Post by Termite »

Don't overlook 6-8oz Molotovs using methanol instead of gasoline, launched from one of those water ballon launcher things. The reason for methanol is no one will understand why some of the mob is running around screaming, unless it's dark, because methanol fires are invisible in sunlight.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Termite wrote:Don't overlook 6-8oz Molotovs using methanol instead of gasoline, launched from one of those water ballon launcher things. The reason for methanol is no one will understand why some of the mob is running around screaming, unless it's dark, because methanol fires are invisible in sunlight.
To what end? "The hell's the matter with them?" is usually a much more muted response than "HOLY SHIT FIRE!"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Jeff Cooper recommended the common .22LR for mob control. From Vol 8, #12
Some years ago I did a piece on the use of the 22 for riot control. Family member Colonel Brian Tonnacliff now notes that the Israelis seem to have read my piece and acted upon it, since they are doing in Jerusalem at this time approximately what I suggested. The tactic was reported with some dismay in an English newspaper, which apparently disapproves of the Israeli need to defend itself from rock-throwing mobs. The 22 is handy, precise, and it can be silenced. It is not devastating, but it takes the rock-thrower neatly out of action.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Aesop wrote:Any decent US military manual circa 1955-1975 on improvised explosives, esp. SF materials on same, is pretty crystal clear on how to go about making flour bombs ("dust initiated explosive devices"). Or so I hear. :twisted:
I have blown smallish stumps (beyond the capacity of a smallish, elderly, Ford tractor to pull) using two pie plates, some Bisquik, and a votive candle.

Read and follow the label directions. If rash develops, discontinue use.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Termite

Post by Termite »

Jericho941 wrote:
Termite wrote:Don't overlook 6-8oz Molotovs using methanol instead of gasoline, launched from one of those water ballon launcher things. The reason for methanol is no one will understand why some of the mob is running around screaming, unless it's dark, because methanol fires are invisible in sunlight.
To what end? "The hell's the matter with them?" is usually a much more muted response than "HOLY SHIT FIRE!"
You can get more of them before they run......... :twisted:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."